Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know i've seen the answer to this question before but i'm having a real hard time finding it again. when i come to a complete stop or start accelerating from a complete stop i have a little jump that seems to be coming from the rear end. it's something i've just noticed and it's not too major yet but i figure i'd get it taken care of before it does more damage or gets worse. thank you.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
It sounds like your rear driveshafts "slip joint" needs a bit of attention.

The way I lube the slip joint is to remove the rear part of the DS from the rear end first.....for this you need a 12mm 12 point socket...3/8 drive is best. Remove the 4 bolts, but before you take the DS off the rear, just mark it with some chalk or white out or whatever you use to mark metal items for reference. Then also reference the two half's of the DS itself. The reason for all this marking is so it goes back the same way it came off...exactly.....this is because the shaft is balanced as a assembly, and if you put it back any old way you will get a vibration.
OK....now you need to cut the two straps that hold the rubber boot on the DS off and then you can slide the rear half of the DS away from the front half. The splined shaft will have a blue coating on it....dont try to remove it. Just lightly clean the splined section with a rag and re-grease it.
Now line the rear half back u with the front half and slide it back in.....burping the air out as necessary from under the boot.
Now use a zip tie on each end of the rubber boot to hold it and then reinstall the 4 bolts back in the flange in the rear and your done.

If you have any questions, or just want some more info just search "slip joint", and I am sure you will find plenty.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts