Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 with the 8.8 rear axle. My rear wheel bearings need replacement. Normally I would tear apart the rear end, then try to go get the parts I need. This time I am trying to minimize down time without the Bronco and get the parts ahead of time.

I have found 2 different styles of rear axle wheel bearings on Napa's site. One of them is twice as expensive as the other? Can some one tell me what makes it better? Will they both fit?

$10 bearing
$20 bearing

Also, I know I should replace the wheel bearing oil seals while I have everything apart. Napa's wheel seal looks vastly different from the corresponding seal listed on the Bronco Graveyard site. Are these supposed to be the same seal?

Napa seal

Bronco Graveyard seal

Is there anything else I should replace as a matter of course while I am back there?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The $20 one looks like it might be what is sometimes called and axle repair bearing. It has the bearings riding further out on the axle than where the original ones were, so if the axle is worn that is what you'd want. Also the axle repair bearings I've seen have an "integrated" seal.

This is all just a guess though cause the pictures may not be of the actual part.

The Bronco Graveyard picture is an OEM seal.

You need to tear the thing apart to know what is currently there and what needs replacement. For example do you know if it currently has the original style bearings or axle repair bearings? If it has axle repair bearings there is likely a reason, which means you may be needing new axles as well.

·
Yup, I'm fullsize....
1,797 Posts
This is a job you don't want to do a 2nd time, so I would do it right and spend the extra coin. Personally I would go with Timken bearing. Broncograveyard has them (here) for $20 (each???). You might also want to just replace both axles shafts while you have it apart.

I had to replace my passenger side because the harden steel surface had a nice grove in it. I chose to replace both with Superior Axle and Gear replacements. They run about $100 each from summit (here). 2 days after putting the axle back together, I drove my bronco from CA to MD with no problems.

Getting the bearings out was a pain using a hammer puller. Long after I replaced mine, someone on this forum posted a suggestion which would have made easy work of it. Buy a piece of steel pipe a little smaller diameter than the inside diameter of the wheel bearing and about 5 - 6 feet long. Pull the carrier and then use the pipe to force the bearing out from the other side of the axle by pounding on it with a sledgehammer. Obviously make sure the bearing is coming out evenly and you're not gouging the axle housing. It should pop the bearings out a helluva lot easier than using a hammer puller.

If I can do this, then anyone can.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
all done

My local Napa was all out of the less expensive bearings so I ended up going with the $20 ones. They did say that both bearings were the same style just different qualities. The $20 set is identical to bearings I just removed from the Bronco:

Steve83 you are right that the photo of the seal was incorrect. The part number was indeed correct. Here is a picture of what they actually look like when I opened the box:

Thanks for the tip on using a 6 foot pipe to remove the bearings. After purchasing my new "tool" for a total of $3 bucks from the hardware store I went to work pounding out the bearings. I was not able to get enough angle on the pole to seat the end of the pipe against the bearing housing. I knocked out a couple of the bearing cylinders before I realized my problem. I had to have a friend wedge the pipe against the bearing housing as I pounded away at the other side.

I then used the old bearings to pound the new bearings into place. That sure took a long time but they are in and working just fine.

Both my axels looks to be in pretty good shape with no groves or pitting that I could feel so I just reinstalled them:

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2001 ford ranger 2wd but they swapped to a 8.8 from a ford explorer but all could find was this number FOTW-4025-AA
but don't know what year it came off from it in order for me to get the axle for it I need help

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
9,036 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts