Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 F150 4x4 4.9l
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at a crossroads. I am building my 94 F150 4x4 single cab/short bed. When I bought it last Nov it already had a 6in RC lift and 35x13.5 Toyo MT's. Axle coed 18 which is factory 3.08 open diffs (8.8 rear, D44 TTB front).

I am building the truck as a hunting/fishing rig not a daily. The plan is to do it right and make it reliable. It will see a lot of FL sugar sand, water (ditch crossings on the hunting lease) and some mud/ruts. I would say moderate offroading not hard core rock crawling (we don't have a lot of rocks in FL). I still would like it to cruise at 60-70mph on the hwy to and from the hunting lease. I'm at a point in the build that I have to address the gearing. Th original plan was the just buy 4.10 gears and be done with it but now I am thinking of a traction add (LSD, lockers...) or a SAS.

Option 1:
If I re-gear the stock axles I am thinking of 4.10 gears with Trac-lok diffs front and rear. While I'm at it I would do all the bearings, seals, ball joints... and swap the auto hubs to warn premiums. It would be roughly $1800 to get everything form bronco graveyard plus some tools I would need. I've re-geared a jeep and would be comfortable doing it myself.

Option 2:
Axle swap... I don't want to "step backwards" with old technology 78'-79' axles or left sprung front end. If I go through the expense I want a D60 front and sterling 10.5 rear. I am leaning towards the 05+ Super Duty swap that I see guys doing on the F250/F350's. You can reuse the factory SD brackets or buy a kit for about $1200-$1700. I would not reuse my lift so I would be looking at shocks/coils, 8lug wheels and tires... Best I can figure is that I am looking at spending at lest $4k-$5k to do it "right" and not attempt to fab a bunch of sketchy parts. I do own a welder but I prefer not to fab all my own stuff for the sake of time and getting the truck back on the road quick. I really don't want the thing to sit on blocks forever.

I want peoples opinion. If you were me what would you do? Build the stock axles or SAS?

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
6,095 Posts
Build the stock axles.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
As a guy who just went through all of this. If all you are planning on is hunting, fishing, maybe a mild wheeler in your location. I think the TTb will serve you just fine. I am one state north of you and wheel in the rocks and mud so that's why i went ahead with the sas.

From what you are describing there is no reason to go to one tons. You would likely spend more that $4-5K on the swap going to tons. I just did a regear on my rear axle and d44 swap with chromo's on mine and it cost me roughly $5k. the little stuff adds up big time. If i were you i would regear, add traction aids, manual locking hubs and be done with it. Your money is better well spent in traction aids.

Reactions: cobrajoe

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
9,160 Posts
If you want 4.10s, just go to the junkyard. You can find diffs with 4.10s there, esp for the front since you can use the 3rd out of an F250. Save some money that way. Then throw a locker in it and call it good.

·
Premium Member
1981 Bronco, 4.9L, ZF5, NP208, Detroit Truetracs, 3.55 gears, 31" Wranglers front and rear
2,417 Posts
I'd rebuild the stock axles with Detroit Truetracs front and rear.

Nice lookin' truck BTW.

Reactions: cobrajoe

·
Ultra Premium Member
6,095 Posts
I’d one ton swap that all day. No need to build the stock stuff and TTB. Especially since that TTB doesn’t like a 6” lift
Yeah, not sure what I was thinking.....

:p

·
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.
897 Posts
Given your listed uses, I'd second or third the recommendation to just re gear the TTB. I disagree that it doesn't like a 6" lift. I ran a 6" lift on mine with 4.56s and 35s, for 20 years with no issues. It was a nearly perfect setup. Going SAS is all the rage and people "can" make it look easy and cheap. I went all in on my SAS (so probably not the best example), but its neither cheap, nor easy. Unless you are wheeling it HARD or just want to go SAS, ttb is a great option.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
17,676 Posts
Hehehe does no one look at post dates anymore? Op hasnt been on in almost 2 years!

·
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.
897 Posts
Hehehe does no one look at post dates anymore? Op hasnt been on in almost 2 years!
NOPE! Forum just pushing to the top of my feed so I comment...

Edit: Sadly, any activity here is good activity.. :(

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
17,676 Posts
Guess ill throw my TTB flex in just for fun lol

6" procomp stage 2 lift with extended radius arms and add-a-leaves. 37x12.50 tires. 30 inches under the tire.

·
Ultra Premium Member
6,095 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: BigBlue 94
1 - 13 of 13 Posts