Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
4.56:1 x 4

I dont really think there is such a thing as 'overkill' You just re-gear to what ever gears match you tire size.
IMHO, anything deeper than a 4.56:1 and the pinion gear is just too small.

4.56:1 you can grind a little off of one of the ring gear teeth and still get a regular cross pin in. 4.88:1 may require too much grinding to fit the standard cross pin, so you would need a weak notched cross pin.

·
The "Dim"olitioner....
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I kept stock tire size 235/75/R15, could I gear it in 3.73 or 4.10 and it be ok? I'm just trying to get some higher gears for towing and hauling.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
What you got in there now? 3.55? I think going to 3.73 would be a waste of money but 4.10 would be pretty good for towing, etc.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
4.56:1 x 4

IMHO, anything deeper than a 4.56:1 and the pinion gear is just too small.

4.56:1 you can grind a little off of one of the ring gear teeth and still get a regular cross pin in. 4.88:1 may require too much grinding to fit the standard cross pin, so you would need a weak notched cross pin.
hmmm. Interesting. Learn something new every day... I havent ever really done any research on the 8.8 cuz i never planned on keeping it.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
If I kept stock tire size 235/75/R15, could I gear it in 3.73 or 4.10 and it be ok? I'm just trying to get some higher gears for towing and hauling.
Another option just to think about... Would be to get an 8.8 and a front 3rd member from a JY that already has 4.10's and just swap that in. That's what i'm doing, just with a 10.25 rear instead.

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,515 Posts
Do you mind the higher revs on the highway and in town not to mention less fuel mileage?

If you did strictly highway then I would stick with your 3.08s for the best mileage and lowest RPM's. IMO 3.55's would probably be your best, cheapest and easiest option.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts