Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to order the rear eye bushing for the leafs in our broncos for over a week now. everytime i get a set in, they are the wrong size, so i eventually caved in and bought a set for the entire rear suspension of the truck, but the larger eye still doesnt have a bushing that fits it. I have been ordering the energy suspension stuff and i need it in red. does anyone here know the part number, its the molded-in style if that helps. when i pull up the bronco on the site, it shows a TON of different bushings, but it says nothing about the size. i'm gettin so pissed at this. thanks for the help yall.

·
Registered
562 Posts
There are two different styles of bushings. One with metal sleeves and one without and you need to specify when ordering.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Mine had the metal sleeve.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I was just looking on broncograveyard.com and all of their rear spring eye bushings are "common" with the metal sleeve "on" the bushing? So I ssume that means in the bushing?

My truck has the metal sleeve also. I guess you can't just knock the sleeve out of one the new ones and just use the poly part on yours? Please excuse my ignorance on that as I haven't done a set that doesn't need the metal sleeve..

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
I was just looking on broncograveyard.com and all of their rear spring eye bushings are "common" with the metal sleeve "on" the bushing? So I ssume that means in the bushing?

My truck has the metal sleeve also. I guess you can't just knock the sleeve out of one the new ones and just use the poly part on yours? Please excuse my ignorance on that as I haven't done a set that doesn't need the metal sleeve..
You could never get that sleeve out and be able to re-use them. I tried when I was given the wrong bushings and it just isn't going to happen. Even if you could, why buy 2 sets of bushings just so you can take the sleeves from one and put them on the other? I wouldn't even bother with the polly for this aplication anyways.

To the original poster, the sleeves wont just slide in, it is a press fit.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, i had no idea what i was doing when i started this SH#T and now i think ive got it. My leaf had the sleeves, but i pressed them out, and now if i want to use the energy suspension bushings, i have to get new friggin sleeves. i think ive got it now though, i shouldn't have pushed them out.

why wouldnt you us polly for this? i thought it was alot better.....

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, i ordered the MOOG replacements, now should i just return the polyurethane ones?? or should i press the bushings out of the new sleeves and put the polyurethane bushings on. Im pretty curious about why some people wouldnt run these bushings polyurethane.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Pros: Poly should last longer than the rubber but will squeak if not greased properly.

Cons: However, I think most believe that is not a good idea to run poly in one spot of the suspension and rubber in the rest. The poly puts more strain on the rubber bushings because it (poly) flexs less causing the rubber to flex more?

I am sure if I am wrong someone will chime in very soon.

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
You could never get that sleeve out and be able to re-use them. I tried when I was given the wrong bushings and it just isn't going to happen. Even if you could, why buy 2 sets of bushings just so you can take the sleeves from one and put them on the other? I wouldn't even bother with the polly for this aplication anyways.

To the original poster, the sleeves wont just slide in, it is a press fit.
I heated mine up and the rubber pushed right out of the sleeve, made for lots of smoke though.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
I heated mine up and the rubber pushed right out of the sleeve, made for lots of smoke though.
That's how I did mine but I also had to remove the sleeve since my new bushing had a sleeve. That is a real PITA.
The only reason I said I wouldn't use poly, is that the rubber ones will last as long as I own the truck and firmness isn't important to me here. But when I'm at the parts counter and if the cost difference is minimal, the parts guy could probably convince me to purchase it with little effort.:shrug

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, since i pushed the sleeve out, and the only way to get new sleeves is with rubber bushings, im gonna just put the MOOG bushings in and say forget it to the poly stuff, since their directions SUCK and made me go through extra effort to push out the sleeve that i wasnt supposed to. that pisses me off but oh well. thanks for the help everyone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts