Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 91 bronco has a 3 inch lift with 35s on it. My boat drops it about 2+ inches. Is there a air shock for a 3 inch lift or do I need air bags. It tows ok but its about the look.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
Air bags are the best way to go, I've seen air shocks break the mounting brackets.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Like said get a set of helper air bags for it.Air shocks can break the shock mounts off and they ride rougher then the air bags will.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'd consider a weight distribution hitch. This will transfer the weight of the hitch to the trailer and to the front of the Bronco a bit. I used one on a Chevy S10 when pulling a 24 foot bumper pull camper from Virginia to Florida and back. I wouldn't rely on air shocks, although as a kid I used air shocks a lot. Hindsight now I should have done weight distribution hitch to begin with. IMHO.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'd consider a weight distribution hitch. This will transfer the weight of the hitch to the trailer and to the front of the Bronco a bit. I used one on a Chevy S10 when pulling a 24 foot bumper pull camper from Virginia to Florida and back. I wouldn't rely on air shocks, although as a kid I used air shocks a lot. Hindsight now I should have done weight distribution hitch to begin with. IMHO.
The WDH is a great option for travel trailers, but I don't know if that's a practical solution on a boat trailer. The weight/balance of the trailer changes dramatically when launching and recovering the boat, and I suspect that wouldn't work well with WDH bars attached. Obviously you can remove them before hitting the launch and then set them back up before towing home. That process would be annoying to me, especially after a long day on the lake.

I used Airlift bags and an on board compressor on three of my coil sprung Jeeps and it was a good solution in my particular towing situation. I especially like letting out the air when unhitching - you don't have to crank the tongue jack up as far to clear the ball! For a lifted truck, they have spacer pucks to help with fitment and when set up correctly, they don't impact unloaded ride quality at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts