Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much does it cost to fix the rear main seal from leaking?
how much would a decent paint job cost me?
and the guy who owned my bronco before me just broke like the whole entire tailgate so that doesnt work at all like the window the defrost everything on my tailgate wont work so how much would that cost to fix also?

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Welcome to FSB. Feel free to introduce yourself in the introduction forum. There's tons of info here all you have to do is search for it. There's an active rear main topic going right now. Tailgates are a common problem as well.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,696 Posts
It also wouldn't be a bad idea to list your truck info

<~~~~~over there like i did.

At this point we have no clue what type of motor your talking about. Rear main seal isn't going to be cheap to have to be done, most mechanics are going to want to yank the motor.

Most of the questions you asked are area sensitive, labor costs change from region to region, might want to tell us where your at too.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
I didnt even realize he had no info but yeah that would help too

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
outcast208 said:
how much does it cost to fix the rear main seal from leaking?
how much would a decent paint job cost me?
and the guy who owned my bronco before me just broke like the whole entire tailgate so that doesnt work at all like the window the defrost everything on my tailgate wont work so how much would that cost to fix also?

rear main seal.600-1000 bucks at mechanics due to pulling motor

paint job. 300 earl schieb orange peel finish to 5000 with all the rust and dents repaired.

using search before asking questions---priceless

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
outcast208 said:
oh its a 1991 ford bronco 302 5.0l 155,000 miles on it brand new transmission not ever 1,000 miles on it
How long has the rear main been leaking? If it has been a while why didnt you pay the extra 5 minutes of labor cost for then to do it when the tranny was out. Take it back to the tranny shop and tell them they did it maybe they will fix it for you....doubt it though. if you did the tranny install yourself then you can do it.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
I'd have agree if the tranny was out 1000 miles ago why isnt there a new main seal in there

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i told them to do that but i guess they didnt fix it or something so it kinda pisses me off also if that is leaking would there be a burning smell bc if not what else could it be?

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
outcast208 said:
i told them to do that but i guess they didnt fix it or something so it kinda pisses me off also if that is leaking would there be a burning smell bc if not what else could it be?

have you searched on here at all there is an active thread in the tech writeup that has a very distinct picture of what rear main seal leak looks like. mine has leaked for a year and i have had no burning smell whatsoever. if you have a burning smell that would lead me to believe that your valve covers are probably leaking and hitting the exhaust manifold. check them. if in fact they did change it out and it is leaking again, the seal either didnt set, they didnt do it right or your crank is warped causing to beat the shit out of the seal but i have only ever heard of it, never seen it personally.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
do you think if it is the valves that it could be leaking so much it would be hitting the ground or just stopping at the exhaust manifold? i really dont know much about cars so im sorry if i seem like a complete idiot. i kinda got a D in auto haha

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Might want to check your valve covers since you say you have a burning smell

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
outcast208 said:
do you think if it is the valves that it could be leaking so much it would be hitting the ground or just stopping at the exhaust manifold? i really dont know much about cars so im sorry if i seem like a complete idiot. i kinda got a D in auto haha

No i think your valve covers are probably bad cause you got the burning smell. take you truck to auto parts store of your choice. get a haynes manual, read it then do it

ken

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just had mine done last year. It was under warranty, but the ford dealership told me their actual cost was about 1100 and the bill would have been over 3000. They also had to replace my pan due to corrosion. Thats on a ttb f-250, but its the same procedure as on the bronco.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts