Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a leaker on my hands. Can't tell for sure whether it's coming from the pan gasket or rear seal. Here's my question........If the rear seal was leaking would I find oil when I remove the torque converter access plug? It's dry in there and I would think there would be some evidence if the rear seal is leaking. I do have oil forward of the bellhousing but the wind can blow it all over the place. Hate to go to all the trouble of replacing the pan gasket if the rear seal is bad. I don't know the history of this Bronco so I can't say if the pan has ever been off. Typically, gaskets don't just start leaking unless they have some help. Anyway, let me know what ya think.
Thanks,

EG

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
If you remove the dust cover from the bottom of the bellhousing, you can usually get a look inside at the torque converter and bellhousing of the tranny. You do not need to remove the drain plug, as that would in effect drain the tranny fluid from the TC. IF the rear oil seal is leaking, there will be oil slung around inside this area, and also on the flywheel and starter gear. On some engines, you need to pull the starter to get that cover off. It also helps to use a flashlight and a small mirror to get a good look up inside the bellhousing. The oil pan gasket can leak anywhere around it and blow toward the rear of the engine while driving. Even the dipstick tube has been known to leak, and run down the side of the pan, so check that, too. A good rule to remeber is that oil will not run uphill, so if you find a leak trace it to the highest dry point. If there is oil on the sides of the pan ,the leak is coming from higher up, like from the intake or valve covers. JSM84

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
If the area behind the inspection plate is dry, I'd lean towards the pan gasket.

You can always soak it down in degreaser and pressure wash the bottom end to get a better idea of the source.

·
Cleaning the trails
931 Posts
Get in there with some degreaser and clean as much you can. I though mine was a RMS, but as soon as it was all cleaned up, I could tell it was a pan gasket. Replace the pan gasket and hasn't leaked since.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts