Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone happen to know the sizes for the rear seat bolts off the top of their head? I managed to snap 5 out of 6 when removing my carpeting in the back. Are they all the same? Can I just match them (and the tap I'll have to buy) to the one remaining one?

Thanks for any help.

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
I have the 4 that hold the two side brackets busted... tried to drill those out to no success... so I just welded the brackets back in... under the carpet...

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just in case anyone cares, 2" long 1/2"-20 bolts will work. Grade 8s are about $1.40, and the tap was $7.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
sewiv said:
Just in case anyone cares, 2" long 1/2"-20 bolts will work. Grade 8s are about $1.40, and the tap was $7.
Sewiv

Get some nuts while you're there and slip them onto the threads you see in the pic (just above the shrader valve for my air shocks).

Mig the center of the nut to the threads of the broken bolt and then heat the fixed floor nut til' that mutha is cherry red the use the welded nut to back out the remains of the busted bolt.

I had to reweld the nut twice but we got the GD busted bolt out. Now, me and hindsight lather the crap out of the threads in Permatex anti-seize.

Helpful lad that hindsight, not like that moron foresight, he never does anything for me.;)

Sixiltre

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts

Helpful lad that hindsight, not like that moron foresight, he never does anything for me.;)

Sixiltre
is that a front wheel hub?

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
were did you find the 1/2"-20's?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Hey Sandy,

I feel your pain! The same thing happened to me when trying to remove my old rear bed carpeting, rear seat & seatbelts... those suckers would not come out for anything. I heated, I let them soak for days on end, I heated more and finally just bought a nice 1/2" power drill and some RIGID bits for steel/metal and ended up drilling them out... WHAT A PIA it was... I too bought the same size hardware at a local hardware store also...

Do as Six says to do - coat the new hardware in antiseize to prevent it from happening in the future...

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
is that a front wheel hub?
Yup

up here in Canaja our grease turns to mud, then cement, as the cold comes on strong.

A prized mechanic friend imparted the idea to me and, in many applications (without real load on them) we use anti-seize instead of grease.

I'd tried synthetic grease but it too gums up with dirt and dust, whereas anti-seize is more resistant to gumming up from a dirt stand point too.

I highly recommend it to cold weather Bronco owners.

Sixlitre

1 - 9 of 9 Posts