Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 78 bronco and ive heard of people doin a rear shackle flip. i was wondering if anyone could help me on how to do this to my truck. does it give any benifits for wheeling and does it have any flaws??? im fairly new to wheeling so any information would help

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Search noob!:twak Ok flaming over... But seriously, these are amazing, mine are in powdercoating right now. The ride is WAY better than add-a-leafs and can be made even softer if you get F-150 springs because they have one fewer leaf.

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
Do it, but if u have a welder nake your own, i just cut mine and flipped it over and welded it.

i moved the mount forwards 4 inches too.

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
Look at them blocks stacked!! how much lift do you got??
i've got about 11 inches, thats a 4 inch block under the factory block and the shackle flip makes for another 4 inches.( i have a traction bar to keep the axle from twisting) o and 3inch body lift.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've been eyeballing the Sky Manufacturing shackle flip for my '78. I'd be interested to hear how your mod goes, since it sounds like you and I have the same amount of experience wrenchin' on trucks (read: none).

·
Registered
533 Posts
Do it, but if u have a welder nake your own, i just cut mine and flipped it over and welded it.

i moved the mount forwards 4 inches too.
i've got about 11 inches, thats a 4 inch block under the factory block and the shackle flip makes for another 4 inches.( i have a traction bar to keep the axle from twisting) o and 3inch body lift.
the first pic looks like you have the stock block, 3"block, and another 3" block on top of that. the second pic shows the pumpkin, and the shock mounts. you should never stack blocks. i have 11 inches. 3 inch body, and 8 inch suspension. still have the stock blocks.i also have traction bars to limit the axle rap.

·
Registered
533 Posts
i like the search. shakle flip gets you 4 inchs, and extra travel. what do you do with the front? buy a lift kit?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I would do the shackle flip & then measure tire to wheel arch. Then order the right coils.

Maybe measure top tire to wheel arch before starting the project. If it's your daily driver you got issues.

btw I'm in the Sky Shackle camp exclusively. They are thick.

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
the first pic looks like you have the stock block, 3"block, and another 3" block on top of that. the second pic shows the pumpkin, and the shock mounts. you should never stack blocks. QUOTE]
i have had the stacked blocks for 4 years never had a problem.. and the second pic shows part of the traction bar too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would do the shackle flip & then measure tire to wheel arch. Then order the right coils.

Maybe measure top tire to wheel arch before starting the project. If it's your daily driver you got issues.
My rig is not a daily driver. It's a new project truck (never worked on cars/trucks before).

If you measure after the rear shackle flip, the truck would have a crazy forward rake - it'd be angled down. Won't that throw off the measurement and stress the drive line? I'd think measuring before the flip wouln't be more prudent. That way I could order the springs and shackle flip parts at the same time and do the lift all at once. Just thinking aloud here...

So I measure from the top of the tire to the bottom of the wheel well arch? If there were a duplicate rig with different sized tires, we'd end up with two different measurements. So I'm not sure what this data would tell me. Are you suggesting a before and after measurement on the rear tire to determine the change - thus giving me info for the front? Sorry to be a knucklehead on this, but I'm not understanding...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yep get a baseline on front & rear. Do the shackle flip & measure the rear. The difference is what you need to add in the front.

I think concensus is about 4 inches for the shackle flip.

Ditch all the blocks except the factory angle blocks (which you need to get pinion angle correct).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Get rid of them also..Cut the old perches off and get some HD 1's and weld them at the angle you need.I'm totally ANTI BLOCKS of any kind off road. :doh0715:
Not entirely sure what the perches are. And I have no clue how to weld.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have the Sky shackle flip brkt's ... nice stuff. 4-4/12" of lift, nice ride quality and good flex. They do now hang down and create a new spot to drag on rocks etc.
Try and avoid stacking blocks for lift. Works for some in the back but is generally considered "poor form" and on a front leaf setup is flat dangerous :shocked

1 - 20 of 30 Posts