Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tore one of my rear shackles off the frame last night, are the stock shackle mounts ok or is there a better and heavier duty option?

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
How did you sever all 4 rivet heads??

But to answer your question I think the stock units are fine w the shackle in tension.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it was the rivets that let go, but the shackle is pretty twisted up too... I have to replace the rear leaves anyway, thought I would upgrade the shackle if possible.

BTW, the shackle isn't the best place to hook a chain when pulling someone out. :doh0715:

·
Registered
643 Posts
BigDadddy said:
BTW, the shackle isn't the best place to hook a chain when pulling someone out. :doh0715:
no shit...:goodfinge

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
BigDadddy said:

You should probably search for tow points and read about installing some.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a good rear bumper, with two clevisis for attachment for just that sort of thing. The brackets that we mounted it with failed though and I haven't got it re-mounted. I was actually looking at running the mounting arms to the inside of the frame this time, and running them back far enough that I could drill out the shackle rivets and use those holes for added shear resistance for the bumper bolts. Before we had only used the 3 stock mounting holes, that would give us another 4 bolts each side attaching the bumper to the frame. 14 grade 8 - 1/2" bolts should be sufficient... I hope.

I found some aftermarket shackles, but they're all flip shackles for lift. I guess I'll just run by the salvage yard this weekend and pick up another stock one for it.

·
Registered
783 Posts
BigDadddy said:
I have a good rear bumper, with two clevisis for attachment for just that sort of thing. The brackets that we mounted it with failed though and I haven't got it re-mounted. I was actually looking at running the mounting arms to the inside of the frame this time, and running them back far enough that I could drill out the shackle rivets and use those holes for added shear resistance for the bumper bolts. Before we had only used the 3 stock mounting holes, that would give us another 4 bolts each side attaching the bumper to the frame. 14 grade 8 - 1/2" bolts should be sufficient... I hope.

I found some aftermarket shackles, but they're all flip shackles for lift. I guess I'll just run by the salvage yard this weekend and pick up another stock one for it.
Why not go buy some new 1's from Ford,only about 25 bucks a piece.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts