Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 bone stock
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, im still a "new" bronco owner, and crutchfield has a really good promo going on right now for JVC where if you buy a qualifying head unit, you can get 2 pairs of speakers for 50% off, i wasnt really looking to do a radio yet, but i had to jump on that. I knew my back speaker grilles were busted but i didnt realize they were and structural component to mounting the actual speaker. Mine are in BAD shape. I went online only to see that (from what i can tell) nobody makes them, and when i went to searching on ebay i managed to find 1, and it was the wrong color, and they wanted 40 bucks for it. So I have decided to just build some and it shouldnt cost me but about 20 bucks, and that will give me enough material to make 2 sets, or at least build the first ones wrong, toss them, then build a second set correctly.
I wanted to share this with you, maybe some of you have done something like this? Maybe there is a speaker grill out of another period car that works? (I saw the hatchback mustang rear grill out of an 86 looks awfully close but i don't think its quite as long) Anyway, take a peek at my awesome sketch below.

I plan on building a 2 layer structure out of 1/4" plywood. The bottom layer will actually hold the speaker, it will be cut just big enough to mount the speaker to it and it will be fastened with machine screws and nuts since the wood will be thin.

Then i will take another piece of wood, cut it to the size of the original grille,cut an oval hole over the top of the speaker, also drill some holes so the heads of the bolts holding the speaker on can sit (to keep the top piece flush), then drill holes for mounting it to the panel. I plan on using my stapler and wood glue to bond the two pieces together. I am going to cover this entire piece in Grill Cloth and secure it with spray glue.Then fasten the entire assembly to the side panel with upholstery screws.

Also, i got a quart of SEM color coat that I will be spraying the major panels in my bronco with this weekend (panels are all a little faded). Depending on the color of the grill cloth when it comes in, if it don't match good, ill paint it and it should look really nice. If i could find some kind of nice looking perforated mesh (thats durable) i would consider covering in that instead of the cloth but not really sure how id finish out the edges and make it look good, with the cloth ill just stretch it and wrap it.

It looks a lot prettier in my head, lol. "Clark, I can see it in my mind right now and its breathtaking!"...."Thanks mom"

·
Registered
577 Posts
This sounds like a good idea, you might want to consider using MDF. I saw a guy on YouTube who used some sort of lacquer to seal and harden the surface of the MDF top in his workbench build. What size speakers are you using?

Sent from my Hush-98 comlink

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m using factory size 6x8 speakers, I don’t know if you can get MDF in 1/4 inch plus plywood has more flex. We gonna try it anyway until somebody starts making these grilled again

·
Registered
276 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,170 Posts
Since you're making adapters, I thought I'd pull this out from the recesses of time...

I needed to fit 6x9s into the wall, and my initial intent was to retain an "OEM" look to someone who didn't know.

Your plan to make a 2 layer structure out of 1/4" plywood is a good choice. I cut and routed out a wood plank; and while it turned out looking good at the end, the wood cracked along the grain in one spot after a while in the car.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Since you're making adapters, I thought I'd pull this out from the recesses of time...

I needed to fit 6x9s into the wall, and my initial intent was to retain an "OEM" look to someone who didn't know.

Your plan to make a 2 layer structure out of 1/4" plywood is a good choice. I cut and routed out a wood plank; and while it turned out looking good at the end, the wood cracked along the grain in one spot after a while in the car.

That's why I suggested MDF, plywood will warp and crack as it dries out.

Sent from my Hush-98 comlink

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I purchased the van speaker grilles off of ebay for 15 bucks for the pair...BUT before I had done that I had already built my homemade grilles and the wood I went with was a hybrid, it was actually like a piece of cabinet wood, it had a veneer of maple (razor thin) on each side, but it was sandwiched over some fiber board like pegboard is made out of, super tough stuff...but anyway, I did build them, and they look good (aside from not having any cloth yet) and they screwed right into place, but they are only going to be there for a few more days lol. Oh well, that's part of the fun I guess.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sooooo they don’t exactly fit, they are about an inch shorter and a bit narrower, the width of the screw holes is the same. I managed to make it work, it just barely covers the hole up and I redrilled the holes. Looks better than it did and after I get them painted it should be hardly noticeable

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Installed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts