Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll, I've been fishing through the search and can not find anyone with this exact problem. Lately, my truck has been squeaking loudly once I get up to about 15mph+ and squeaks faster as I speed up. Eventually, around 45 the sound goes away, and after driving a while, it goes away altogether. Just wondering what it could possible be. I just changed the rearmost ujoint a day before the squeak came about if that helps?! Please help me, it's driving me nuts!

Thanks,

--Jeff

·
Registered
98 Posts
First thing I Would check is the fluid level in the rear end. If its low I would take a very close look at either the pinion bearing or the axle bearings makeing the noise. Seeing how you just installed a ujoint I would say you goofed up somewhere during the install maybe you knocked a needle bearing flat?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Is the squeak from the back for sure? I have a squeak that I have been living with for a while. A few years ago when I went to get it looked at and fixed they said it was some loose washer or spacer of some sort in the front hub. It worked for a little, but they were probably givng the BS response.

·
Super Moderator
14,716 Posts
I'm with these guys, I would definitely have the needle bearing checked, sounds like the same problem I had and that turned out to be the culprit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's possible that could be the problem. When I was installing it, one of the ujoint caps flew off and the bearings went everywhere:mad: But I found em all and installed them back with as much grease as I had left. Do you think they might just need more grease pumped in there? I was gonna try that today to see if that would fix it.

·
Super Moderator
14,716 Posts
I'm not sure about that, can't hurt to try though. I do know that the part with the needle bearings cannot be rebuilt, it has to be replaced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts