Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so the front is done, just need to button it up a little.. So, Ive done a shackle reversal in the rear.. I need to get about 4 inches more lift out of it.. With out buying brand new springs (read $$$) or going with blocks, what are my options?? F-350 springs?? Ill only get about 2-3inches at most out of them right?? I dont really want to go with longer shackles, cause that'll screw my pinion angle all to hell.. Any opinions?? Springs out of something else maybe?? Lemme know..

Brian

·
I killed Kenny...again
3,258 Posts
you'll probably net around 7 or so inches. i'd advise going with f-250 springs. less spring rate and not so harsh a ride. the springs alone will get you around 2-3 inches

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a solid 4 inches out of the shackle reversal.. If i get 3 more out of F-250 springs, that'd be sweet.. I trashed the springs on my F-250 and the used truck parts place here charged me like $90 for a pair I think... hhmmm...

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
probably but thats the price to pay to do it cheap and correctly. f350 springs will flex and ride like shit, a bronco isn't heavy enough.

·
I killed Kenny...again
3,258 Posts
Andy351 said:
probably but thats the price to pay to do it cheap and correctly. f350 springs will flex and ride like shit, a bronco isn't heavy enough.
actually, thats not totally accurate. yea, the heavier rate springs will knock your teeth out when riding down the road, but they flex alot better than you'd think. right now the only thing that makes me lift a tire in the back is having too short of a shock. next time i'm near the rig, i'll cycle the suspension and report how much travel i get

·
I killed Kenny...again
3,258 Posts
crackhead said:
jrdbronco, what are you running in the rear?? plug, if i lengthen the shackle, ill have to reweld my perches right??
f-250 leaf springs from an early 90's work truck

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
crackhead said:
jrdbronco, what are you running in the rear?? plug, if i lengthen the shackle, ill have to reweld my perches right??
yeah (sorry, I just reread your post, and saw your shackle comment) but I still offer it as a good solution. With the SF, you dont want a block, or you will almost have to have a toque arm built to compensate for the wrap (it still woulddnt be a bad idea). Figure a longer shackle will net 2 inches max, a zero will get 1" or so, and an add aleaf from another (junkyard) spring pack could net????? I would recommend cutting and redoing the perch anyways, as you are gonna be lifting it more now, so the angle may be off. its gonna take some experimenting.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, right now, im really leaning towards a F-250 spring pack and maybe a zero rate.. I dont like the thought of an even longer shackle hanging down in the back.. God knows the ones that are on there right now hang down a ton.. I dont really want to do the perches, but I nee to do the shock mounts anyways, so I guess i should probably go ahead and do it.. Oh well.. one thing at a time.. Gotta get the new hubs in, the drivers side shock and coil tower mounted and throw the rest of the new steering under there.. How long will it take for the new front coils springs to break in??

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the other shock and coil tower under there and the new hubs in.. Gotta go get the shock tomorrow and the wife will go get the rest of the steering stuff.. Its getting there.. Hopefully itll be ready for the M&G on sunday..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts