Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the issues with my crawler are taken care of. The remaining is what to do with the crusty rear frame rails and what kind of suspension. I have no sheet metal interference and will have On Board Air and the truck will be used anywhere from DD to crawler so both ride/handling is as important as articulation. It seems like a slick way to handle the problems is to get another front frame clip then cut both just aft of the radius mounts and connect with 3x6x3/16 tubing. I would need to adapt the radius rods to the 9", I believe there are weld on wedges for adapting a D60 to the front, and I do a centered torque link above the axle as well the radius rods should probably have Johnie joints. This would make it easy to bag it later so I would have variable lift. It seems like this would provide a cheep but very functional setup and would lend itself to bagging later and possibly adding rear steering.
Where I live driveways look like most peoples Jeep trails (I know bad word) or worse. I will have a M1200 on each end and will use the truck for recovery work so I figured I would need to box the rails as well as repair rust damage from the front mounts of the rear spring back. With a torque arm added above the axle it would be basicly a cheep way to to a stout 3 link and I would be using box tubing to connect the two frame sections. The use will be anywhere from pulling a 19' cabin cruiser or 7klb flatbed at 75 down the interstate to driving up old logging roads to the top of a mtn to mantain my spring.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice work but it brings up a couple of questions. How happy are you with the rear suspension? Where did you get the wedges you welded to the 9" and part no if any? What are the front shock towers for and part no? do you have a problem with axle wrap? What I have been thinking is to use two front frame sections placed end to end with box tubing between. Because my rear frame looks as bad or worse than your new frame and I will have m12000s on both ends trying to rip the frame apart I had planned to box it but in the long run this seems better and faster and probably bettersince I'll fab the rear winch mount off the crossmember just like I did in front.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
You can get wedges from James Duff or Bronco Graveyard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts