Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have seen alot of boncos without the rear tire carriers what is taking it off like nad how much work is it? it seems simple other than the holes left by the original bolts that held it in.

·
Administrator
22,855 Posts
Depending on how much rust is on the bolts...it is basically just unbolt, remove carrier, install bolts back in the holes (keeps water out).

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,005 Posts
When I took mine off, 3 of my bolts broke because of how rusty and old they were. So remember, if the first bolt brakes, keep going cause that tire is alot of weight to be suppported without all the bolts for the carrier.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are there any reasons to really keep the carrier on and what are some extra steps for rust on the bolts

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,965 Posts
are there any reasons to really keep the carrier on and what are some extra steps for rust on the bolts
If you don't have a spare tire on the back then no. I went to the hardware store and matched up some good stainless bolts, pretty sure they're metric and got rid of the old ones.

·
Registered
46 Posts
right , who want to sit beside that old dirty tire , anyhow

·
Registered
25 Posts
I took my spare tire rack off because it was splitting the seam on the tailgate with my 35" tire. It is just a bolt off/on kinda thing, but just curious if this seam splitting is common?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
I took my spare tire rack off because it was splitting the seam on the tailgate with my 35" tire. It is just a bolt off/on kinda thing, but just curious if this seam splitting is common?
I just found my carrier the other day and have been debating wheter to re-mount it. But in the past few months here I've seen a lot of posts from the guys that have experienced the same thing as you...and worse. The first thing that came to my mind was maybe removing the spare if you're gonna be bouncing around in the dirt a lot could be a good idea----but then you've got to find a spot for the spare, right?

Hmmmmm........

·
Banned
34,685 Posts
...it was splitting the seam on the tailgate...
...just curious if this seam splitting is common?
Only if you neglect/abuse it. What does that 35" weigh? When was the last time you checked/lubed/changed the nylon sleeves around the swingaway's pivot pins?

·
Registered
25 Posts
call it neglect, I didn't notice the problem till it was rattling. I took it off right away, I'm gonna weld it up one of these days, change all the bushings and put it back on.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Yea its pretty much that easy. You could also try to find a tire rack that goes in the inside like my truck came with it but it does use up some room.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was thinking of removing my tire carrier to prevent rust spots at the attachment points. I saw all the brackets and reinforcement pieces in other posts but does the quarterpanel reinforcement need to be removed? Will it rattle around if the carrier is not attached? Will this help prevent rust or should I try to replace the bushings against the body instead?
Just trying to keep 'mother nature' from re-claiming my girl.......

·
Registered
834 Posts
FWIW, Mine has the stock interior spare and I took the tire itself out to move some 4X8 sheets of plywood. I was able to get them in right up to the bolt that goes in the middle of the spare tire. If I had about 5 more sheets, I would have been in trouble but, as far as taking up room, yeah, the spare tire carrire on the inside DOES take up some room however, you have to ask yourself how much room do yiou really use in the back?
I have a family of four and we hit the beach with this truck and that includes two surfboards, one boogie board and all of the other beach chairs and crap that comes with the "Married with Children" life.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts