Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and couldn't find anything addressing this question.

What is the largest tire the factory spare tire carrier can carry and does anyone know the max weight that the carrier can carry? FWIW, I'm referring to normal daily driving activities (not the added stress of wheeling).

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
here are 2 threads i found quickly by searching for "tire carrier weight"

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/62-wheels-tires/432129-best-wheel-spare-tire-carrier.html

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...zone/425369-spare-tire-bigger-ok-carrier.html

generally the consensus is no larger than a 33 but several people have 35's or even 37's without problems. personally, i will be moving my spare inside until i can get a custom bumper with its own tire carrier. but the tailgate on mine is already dented from either a PO backing into something or damage from offroading or something.

i also am careful not to slam the tire carrier shut as that could damage the tailgate too.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/62-wheels-tires/432129-best-wheel-spare-tire-carrier.html

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...zone/425369-spare-tire-bigger-ok-carrier.html

generally the consensus is no larger than a 33 but several people have 35's or even 37's without problems. personally, i will be moving my spare inside until i can get a custom bumper with its own tire carrier. but the tailgate on mine is already dented from either a PO backing into something or damage from offroading or something.

i also am careful not to slam the tire carrier shut as that could damage the tailgate too.
i swear i searched those same terms and got nothing. Thanks a bunch for the help.

·
Registered
135 Posts
While we are talking about spare tire carries, has anyone ever installed one on the tailgate?

Whoever owned my Bronco last took part of the carrier off and put it in the bed.... I am missing all the parts needed for it to be installed back on the tailgate.... but was wondering if anyone knows where I could buy one, and if they are easy to install?

Thanks,

·
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
17,889 Posts
I've had a 100 pound 37" swamper on mine for years without issues, but I don't wheel it hard so stress is minimal.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While we are talking about spare tire carries, has anyone ever installed one on the tailgate?

Whoever owned my Bronco last took part of the carrier off and put it in the bed.... I am missing all the parts needed for it to be installed back on the tailgate.... but was wondering if anyone knows where I could buy one, and if they are easy to install?

Thanks,
i have seen a bunch on ebay for decent prices.

·
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
17,889 Posts
Lol that is on an alloy wheel. It's a ten ply tire so it's heavier, at I think 79 pounds without the wheel. Honestly a 40" would fit fine too. The problem I run into is the tire is too wide, so I have to mount the whole spare backwards, or it doesn't fit.

·
Eric
2,705 Posts

Thanks,
If you were closer, I'd sell you mine. I just took mine off so I could design a carrier bumper. Shipping would kill any deal I could devise. It probably weighs 30-40 lbs.

Reactions: Nemeth8

·
Registered
1 Posts

Best wheel for spare tire carrier?

spare tire - bigger ok on carrier?

Hi everyone,

I’m new to this forum and I’m a new owner of a 2021 Ford Bronco.
I changed my tire size this past weekend and I went from Size: 255/75R17 to 35x12.50r17 I have a Rough Country extending plate on it but didn’t reinforce it more with a tailgate reinforcement bracket. Which now I feel I should get since I noticed a slight denting on my rear door.
My question is if I reinforce with that bracket will it stop the bending of the door or are my tires simply too large?
Thanks in advance for all your help!
~Sonia
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Tire Car

·
Eric
2,705 Posts
Jeez. Ford couldn't even address the issue of over-sized tires on the carrier with the brand new BKO with better reinforcement? This has been an issue on every generation of FSB.

As long as there are people with engineering degrees designing vehicles, fabricators will have a job. Lol. No offense to the highly educated intended.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
*90xlt,351w,e4od,1356m*79,400,C6,205,19donors*73,400,np435,d20j twin
9,520 Posts
Hi everyone,

I’m new to this forum and I’m a new owner of a 2021 Ford Bronco.
I changed my tire size this past weekend and I went from Size: 255/75R17 to 35x12.50r17 I have a Rough Country extending plate on it but didn’t reinforce it more with a tailgate reinforcement bracket. Which now I feel I should get since I noticed a slight denting on my rear door.
My question is if I reinforce with that bracket will it stop the bending of the door or are my tires simply too large?
Thanks in advance for all your help!
~Sonia View attachment 198043
If you're getting denting, then definitely you need something more. Here we're pretty familiar with our 78-96 Broncos & what works for them. 2021 & up is unfamiliar territory for most of us.

On my 90 I carry a 35, but the rim is aluminum & I don't jump it. I added a stock reinforcement plate inside the tailgate. Anything more than that & most of us go to a custom bumper with a spare carrier to prevent body damage. If I had it to do over, I'd start with a bumper mounted carrier instead. You might want to see what the aftermarket offers for yours.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts