Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm almost done with my rear tube bumper I've been working on for a while now. It's a 4 1/2" diameter tube bumper with wrap around corner sliders. Finally got it mounted on the truck today, all I have left to do is fab up the front frame tie in legs and it'll be done. I'm going to build a tire carrier for it too, but that will come later.

Watching paint dry

I like how these corner wrap arounds came out.

A little extra beef inside the corners.

Mounted up with the three stock bolt holes, plus two more in the underside of the frame.

Not a great picture, but I was losing daylight.

This paint is so black and shiny it made it hard to take a decent picture. I'm sure it will photograph better when it's covered in mud.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Looks good, I finally painted my rear bumper today too

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
that looks damn good, how are you planning on tying in the spare carrier? definately like those sliders on there. got measurements ? :toothless

definately saving pics of that too. I have so many in my ideas to steal folder I am gonna have to start some sub folders or get some damn work done on mine.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys. I haven't quite decided exactly how I'm going to work out the tire swing, I've got three different ideas in mind and I'm not sure which one will win out yet. I'm going to Uwharrie in the morning to try to drag this thing across some rocks. Seemed like my stock bumper got tweaked every single time I went off road, I'm looking foward to thrashing this one a little.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ogeechee said:
4x4 wow, that's nice
Marauder said:
That came out good
Yeah, I think so too. Hopefully it will help me avoid some of this undignified ass-dragging that I had going on at Superlift last year.:doh0715: The new bumper is only 4 1/2" tall, much slimmer than stock and massively stronger. Plus, I'm thinking the rounded design will tend to slide over rocks instead of presenting them with an edge that can catch. Time (and wheeling) will tell.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Dave's Bronc 90 said:
Yeah, I think so too. Hopefully it will help me avoid some of this undignified ass-dragging that I had going on at Superlift last year.:doh0715: The new bumper is only 4 1/2" tall, much slimmer than stock and massively stronger. Plus, I'm thinking the rounded design will tend to slide over rocks instead of presenting them with an edge that can catch. Time (and wheeling) will tell.

I hope you give that rear bumper the proper send off. Its been through a lot :whiteflag

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Marauder said:
I hope you give that rear bumper the proper send off. Its been through a lot :whiteflag
Hey, it could be a lot worse. Notice in that pic there is no exhaust pipe sticking out? That's because my tire is sittng on it, that is the spot where I managed to tear an exhaust hanger and then run over the pipe.:rofl: As for the bumper, it is currently residing at Foil's scrap yard over on Hwy. 49 if anyone is interested in it.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
wow that is just about as close as you could get to my design. 4.5 inch pipe, corner angle iron, shackles on each side at the frame width, reciver in the middle. damn. i musta had a good idea if someone else thought that same thing.

to compare: what wall thickness is that main tube? and what does it weigh? do you remember the overall width?

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jam0o0 said:
wow that is just about as close as you could get to my design. 4.5 inch pipe, corner angle iron, shackles on each side at the frame width, reciver in the middle. damn. i musta had a good idea if someone else thought that same thing.

to compare: what wall thickness is that main tube? and what does it weigh? do you remember the overall width?

Wow, I'd love to see a pic of yours, sounds like the same kind of deal. I'll go out on a limb and say great minds think alike.:drinkbud Mine is heavy as hell, gotta be close to 100 pounds. It didn't seem that bad until I put the wrap around corners on it, those make it a lot more "tipsy" when you're trying to bolt it up. I might remove it by myself, but I won't try putting it back on by myself again, what a pain that was. The main tube is 1/4", very hefty stuff, and the slider portion is 3/16". Total width is 60". How do you like yours? After using it awile is there anything you would change about it? It may just be me, but my gas tank seems more vulnerable. It's probably just that I can see it beter now than I could before. On the other hand I did get a nice fat scrape on the gas tank skid this weekend too, so maybe I need to work on that when I'm done with my front bumper.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
well mine isn't actually built yet. lol i designed it in pro engineer for one of my classes. so i feel like i've built it since i spent so much time on it. as of right now i have all the steel cut and i know the part fit together. the thing stopping me is that the main tube (mine is 1/2 inch wall, heavy i know but you can't beat free) is in texas and the truck is here in NY. all the braket went home with me over thanks giving and got fitted to the bumper tube. i have a hand isometric (sorta 3D) drawing of it in the "metal stuff" section of my super motors.

you said your width was 60 inches. but i measured the width of the tail gate as 67.25 inches. and yet yours fits under the truck.

about the gas tank: i've got a frame mounted hitch on my truck from the previous ouner. he left the reciver in for long enough that it rusted in place and will not come out. so my plan is to cut off the reciver pat so there is only the 2x2 square tube going across between the frame brackets. i'm leaving it there to protect my gas tank in case i get rear ended. i've been hit twice and i wouldn't want someone to go right through the rusty skid plate and tank.

the combined parts for mine weigh around 140 lbs. this includes 2 shackles, reciver hitch, drop hitch and ball, main tube, shackle mounts, frame mounts, and corner angle iron.

the pic on my super motors is the first "finished" design. at that time i was planning on notching the fender t clear the bumper tube. but i scrapped that idea in favor of notching the bumper. (mine sits closer to the body of the truck.) with a little more measuring and some looks around here i decided that i should add some corner sheet metal protectors.

this is where my differs from yours the most. i'm keeping all my factory sheet metal and insted using angle from the bottom of the main tube forward. then making some aluminum cover pieces to go over the end of the main tube and the angle iron. i'll get some pics of the parts sort of assembled.

other differnces are you're two extra bolts per side on the bottom of the frame. i can't use those hols because the frame hitch is there protecting the gas tank. i don't know what / if i'm going to do anythign about getting more mounting points to the frame.

edit: you can tell i'm excited about the first bit of real design and fab work i've gotten to do on the truck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Man your bumper looked sweet in person, keep up the great mods Dave!

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jam0o0 said:
you said your width was 60 inches. but i measured the width of the tail gate as 67.25 inches. and yet yours fits under the truck.
Okay, I'm busted. That's what I get for posting measurements off the top of my head.:brownbag The real measurement is 72".

Juice52 said:
Man your bumper looked sweet in person, keep up the great mods Dave!
Thanks Juice, that means a lot to me coming from someone with a Bronco as nice as yours.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
sorry it took me so long to respond. i've been gone on a school thing to alabama. we just got back and are wating for the rental truck to show up so we can unload.

thanks for the update on the width measurement.

in case you're interested mine came out at 76.5 inches wide.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts