Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,703 Posts
wow that is just about as close as you could get to my design. 4.5 inch pipe, corner angle iron, shackles on each side at the frame width, reciver in the middle. damn. i musta had a good idea if someone else thought that same thing.

to compare: what wall thickness is that main tube? and what does it weigh? do you remember the overall width?

· Registered
1,703 Posts
well mine isn't actually built yet. lol i designed it in pro engineer for one of my classes. so i feel like i've built it since i spent so much time on it. as of right now i have all the steel cut and i know the part fit together. the thing stopping me is that the main tube (mine is 1/2 inch wall, heavy i know but you can't beat free) is in texas and the truck is here in NY. all the braket went home with me over thanks giving and got fitted to the bumper tube. i have a hand isometric (sorta 3D) drawing of it in the "metal stuff" section of my super motors.

you said your width was 60 inches. but i measured the width of the tail gate as 67.25 inches. and yet yours fits under the truck.

about the gas tank: i've got a frame mounted hitch on my truck from the previous ouner. he left the reciver in for long enough that it rusted in place and will not come out. so my plan is to cut off the reciver pat so there is only the 2x2 square tube going across between the frame brackets. i'm leaving it there to protect my gas tank in case i get rear ended. i've been hit twice and i wouldn't want someone to go right through the rusty skid plate and tank.

the combined parts for mine weigh around 140 lbs. this includes 2 shackles, reciver hitch, drop hitch and ball, main tube, shackle mounts, frame mounts, and corner angle iron.

the pic on my super motors is the first "finished" design. at that time i was planning on notching the fender t clear the bumper tube. but i scrapped that idea in favor of notching the bumper. (mine sits closer to the body of the truck.) with a little more measuring and some looks around here i decided that i should add some corner sheet metal protectors.

this is where my differs from yours the most. i'm keeping all my factory sheet metal and insted using angle from the bottom of the main tube forward. then making some aluminum cover pieces to go over the end of the main tube and the angle iron. i'll get some pics of the parts sort of assembled.

other differnces are you're two extra bolts per side on the bottom of the frame. i can't use those hols because the frame hitch is there protecting the gas tank. i don't know what / if i'm going to do anythign about getting more mounting points to the frame.

edit: you can tell i'm excited about the first bit of real design and fab work i've gotten to do on the truck.

· Registered
1,703 Posts
sorry it took me so long to respond. i've been gone on a school thing to alabama. we just got back and are wating for the rental truck to show up so we can unload.

thanks for the update on the width measurement.

in case you're interested mine came out at 76.5 inches wide.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.