Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my rusty tailgate about a month ago, with a nice rust free southern tailgate. The key worked on the back for putting the window down, then didn't, then did....etc.
Now it won't work at all. But the button on the dash does! So my window motor is still good. Is there a switch or something I can check when I tear into it tomorrow? I like using the key on the gate, it made things easier. I still have my old one I kept. I need to gut out all the stuff before I trash it. I still have parts!

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Sounds like the switch on the tailgate is the problem, I'd put the old switch back in and see what happens from there.

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
There is a two way limit switch on the lock assy and it is finicky. Gotta make sure the key is ALL the wat over to make the switch.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like the switch on the tailgate is the problem, I'd put the old switch back in and see what happens from there.
I don't know what switch you mean. But I will admit to something. When I switched the tailgates, I did notice a white plastic thing inside, was threaded and had a push switch on it. Like a door jamb style. But larger. It was hanging isnide mounted to nothing. But since all worked. I left it alone.

The tailgate key switch also has a separate power supply & fuse/breaker from the dash switch. Check it too.
I will look at my fuse panel. I am still new to the bronco.

There is a two way limit switch on the lock assy and it is finicky. Gotta make sure the key is ALL the wat over to make the switch.
The key is actually being in all the way and turned, and you can even feel the key kind of "click", like a switch noise.

Typically, the switch that DOES work is the problem, preventing the other switch from working. So I suspect the dash switch is the main problem.

But the t/g has to be aligned properly AND the strike sleeves should be intact for the safety switch to work reliably. Read this thread:
http://www.fourdoorbronco.com/board/showthread.php?t=5224

For everything else, click my black Bronco in my sig & read the captions in the Tailgate Tech album.
I had read that before. I did a search when I swapped out the gates. It is aligned perfect. I actually lucked out! However, now the window is jerking me around with the key part, so I guess I only got half lucky.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Make sure there is power to the key switch. As El Kabong noted, the front panel switch and the tailgate key switch are powered separately.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There was at one point. Tomorrow is garage day for me. I will be checking it out. It was odd how it worked, then didn't, then did. Then of course, just stopped. Seems like something came loose, or finally broke.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Didnt do a tailgate swap but I am having this same issue. TG window goes down from the cab but not with the key. If I find the reason for it Ill post on this thread for reference.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Tailgate tech

I had same problems today with my 95 and Tailgate Tech information was a great help. I was realigning my tailgate and after I got it looking good the window wouldn't work. Searched FSB and found Steve83's post and his Tech page. I had acouple problems. Power connection loose at plug to motor and the latch ground.Great information Steve83.thanks.:rockon

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had same problems today with my 95 and Tailgate Tech information was a great help. I was realigning my tailgate and after I got it looking good the window wouldn't work. Searched FSB and found Steve83's post and his Tech page. I had acouple problems. Power connection loose at plug to motor and the latch ground.Great information Steve83.thanks.:rockon
I'll check my plug. Not sure about a latch ground. I don't recall hooking up a latch ground. I am wondering if your onto something here.

·
Registered
155 Posts
:doh0715:My bad for saying latch ground. If the latches don't close completely, the window will not travel up or down. I had no problem until I aligned my tailgate. For a quick fix,since it was raining, I unplugged the safety switch and used a jumper wire to bypass it. I rolled up the window and will try the correct fix, realigning the strikers, so it's done right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts