Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to get a new rear window with defrost grid to install in my 91' bronco. It originally came with a defrost window, but the PO replaced it with a normal window glass. I've checked the wiring and it still works so it shouldn't be too hard to install. I do have to make some minor repairs to make to the window though. The grid has some breaks, but I'm confident I can make that repair, which I'll be working on tonight. The tricky bit is replacing the broken tab for connecting the wires to the grid. One is fine, but the other is broken off. I already found a site selling replacement tabs and a repair kit for the tabs, but the kit is $35 and with the tabs and shipping, its more like $50 all told. So I was hoping for a cheaper repair and I have a few ideas.

1. Buy the tab and solder it on. I have a soldering iron and plenty of solder to go around and I'm pretty good at soldering. But would this be a good, lasting repair?

2. Replace the tab with a wire and tab connector crimped on the end. I figure I could fan out the strands of a wire and solder that to the copper panel to make a good connection. This would be the cheapest and fastest repair I could do, but I'm worried about the longevity of it.

3. Buy the kit and tabs and do it that way. It will take time and I may make a mistake and waste money with this one, but it seems like the most secure method to me at this time.

I'm also open to any other ideas you guys may have for this repair.

So everyone knows, I already plan on replacing all the window seals when I replace the window. Also, is there any good coating I can apply to protect the grid from scratches and wear?

Attachments

·
Banned
6,034 Posts
The grid has some breaks, but I'm confident I can make that repair, which I'll be working on tonight. The tricky bit is replacing the broken tab for connecting the wires to the grid. ...
1. Buy the tab and solder it on. ... But would this be a good, lasting repair?
If the glass survives the hot-spot you'll be creating on it with the soldering iron; yes. But I wouldn't risk it.
3. Buy the kit and tabs and do it that way.
:thumbup
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742/543060-4
Also, is there any good coating I can apply to protect the grid from scratches and wear?
Tint.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts