Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the other day i was out four wheeling with some buddies when we stopped for lunch and so i rolled down my back window to sit on and eat. when we left i closed the tailgate but didn't roll up the window. after muddin around for a little more i realized it was down and it wouldn't go back up. when i got home i tried pushing on the tailgate while rolling it up, spraying lube in the door latches, and all my wiring around the tailgate looks good. but i think it may be a ground issue since i can't hear the motor running. I've been looking on here for any wiring diagrams but they are to old for me to view i guess. my questions are:

what color is the ground wire?
Where is the ground wire ground to?
is there a way to get the window up manually?
and how to hardwire the motor to roll it up if there is an electrical issue?

pictures would be MUCH appreciated, as would any help regarding this issue. thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
What I did;

Go buy 16' of lamp cord and 4 small alligator clamps. Split and strip both ends of the cord, attach clamps to the 4 wire ends.

Remove the access panel on the interior side of the tailgate. Easy to do with the gate down.

Under the panel are two openings. Between the openings, the stamped metal has a connector on the inside. If it has not been detached, you will see the plastic barbs that hold this connector in place. Squeeze the barbs together, and pushdown. Now, you can fish the connector and wires out thru one of the openings.

One side of the connector wires goes back to the tailgate switch. The other side goes directly to the motor. The motor side wires will go to the bottom of the tailgate.

Unplug the connector. On the motor side connector, insert 1 small nail in each of the 2 slots, making sure the nails will not contact each other.

Now, you can use the lamp cord jumper cable you previously assembled. Just like regular cables, one end hooks to the battery, and the other ends you touch to the 2 nails. The motor goes up and down by reversing polarity, so you can get it wrong the first try, and the motor will try to move the glass down. No big deal, just swap nails between the 2 clamps, and the window should start to come up. Do NOT try to close the gate with the glass above the top of the tailgate!!!

For one whole summer, I ran like this, just taped up the nail/clamp connections, and left the other end lay in the back. To open the window, I would just touch and hold the open clamps on the battery. To raise the glass, reverse the clamps on the battery.

Hope this helps.:thumbup

1 - 3 of 3 Posts