Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 1996 Bronco last week (Jan 10). Everything has been great on it and I am excited I finally own one. Yesterday I went to put down the rear window with the key - no go. Front switch - no go. it worked last week with key and switch when I bought it. Any ideas on what it could be and how to fix it?

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
Could be a lot of things, but the easiest thing to check first would be to see if the door strike still has it's plastic collar. If the latch doesn't close exactly right the window won't work.

Oh, I just realized that the window is up, so you can't check that. Try pushing in on the corner of the gate while you use the key; that might be enough. If not, you can access the wires to the window motor if you take off the interior door panel; unplug them and run a wire from the battery to turn it on manually - reverse the wires to go one way or another (watch your hands!). That has the added result of testing the motor itself as well.

Once you get the gate open, you can check the cut-off switch by closing the latches manually (with the gate down) and trying the key then. ONLY MOVE THE WINDOW ENOUGH TO CHECK THE FUNCTIONING! Don't move it out all the way without supporting it.

If it is the door strike collar, they say you can find replacements at any auto parts store. I wrapped electrical tape around it as a temp fix, and never got around to finishing.

...and do a search; this subject has been covered a bunch of times over the years.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
If you are good with a multimeter you can get to the wires that control the rear window behind the driver's side brake light. Have somebody press the switch on the dash each direction and see whether or not you are getting juice. If you aren't getting juice then there is at least one problem there as if you aren't getting juice through those lines then the tailgate key won't work.

If the switch on the dash provides juice then you need to check continuity from the other plug (the one that goes to the tailgate) to the motor. I had a broken wire in there. Once I fixed that the dash switch worked but I bypassed the tailgate key switch in the process so that doesn't work still.:doh0715: Oh well, easy to fix later on when I start to care.

Two final notes. 1. Yes this has been covered lots. There is even a writeup on how to rewire the tailgate to the switch using relays to make everything work better and have less of a chance of burning up wiring. 2. Just in case you don't know the key has to be in the "On" position for the dash switch to work. At least on my truck... That might not be true for yours or for the tailgate key switch but it would kind of suck not to check that and have it be the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ok so mine is acting up too and ive tried pushing on it but it still seems to think its not shut. later i am going to get my dad to help me.

ne ways it was working fine then when i put my 15" in the back it started to vibrate like crazy any other ideas on why my window is being a major pain.

or how to easily check to c if it has power running to it.

·
Cleaning the trails
931 Posts
ok so mine is acting up too and ive tried pushing on it but it still seems to think its not shut. later i am going to get my dad to help me.

ne ways it was working fine then when i put my 15" in the back it started to vibrate like crazy any other ideas on why my window is being a major pain.

or how to easily check to c if it has power running to it.

The 15"s are the problem. The magnetic flux that comes from the 15" magnet interrupts the flow of electricity to the window motor. Since the motor also has magnets it counteracts the magnetic flux field and makes it inoperable. If you would have use a 10" or smaller, it would probable still work.

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
Anyone know how to search anymore? sign up for one question?
I don't think the search function is available for non-members. ...but yeah, I noticed that too; there have been several first post questions in the past couple of days.

It makes sense though. I logged off and went to the forum home page to check, and the search button did disappear. If they can't search, they are going to sign up just to ask their question. Hell, they probably don't even know there is a search button 'til they sign up. :shrug

·
Registered
5 Posts
i just dont think its shut good cause i had it sitting in there for like a month before i hooked it up and then like 2 days after hookup it wouldnt come down
and when i push on it i can hear it click

·
Cleaning the trails
931 Posts
Did you check the circuit breaker in the fuse panel. Middle top in the vertical position. It also controls the door locks, so if they are working then it is something else.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,182 Posts
Does it make any noise at all? Like the motor's turning, but the window doesn't move? If so there are torque pins that commonly break & aren't too bad to replace.

If it makes no noise, then it's probably in the electrical system. Remove the access panel from inside the tailgate. Run test wires from the battery directly to the window motor connections to confirm that the motor works. If it tries to turn the wrong way, reverse the wires. If it runs & the window moves, then follow the diagram to test & locate the problem (This also makes it so that you can get the tailgate open to continue testing). If it runs but doesn't move, in addition to your electrical problem, the torque pins in the drive gear are probably broken too. If it doesn't run at all, it sounds like it's time for a new motor.

Some good resource links:
Fireguy50's wiring diagram, see post 2

Steve83's Tailgate Tech. Great pics & info.

adrianspeeder's pics (He's doing torque pins for a passenger window, for the tailgate you don't need to drill).

Torque pins, motors, etc.

Be aware that:
-The ground for the motor connects up front & runs through both switches & both wires.
-There are 2 sources & fuses for positive. 1 for each switch.
-The same 2 wires are used throughout for both up & down (Polarity is reversed by the switches).
-When the tailgate is open, you have to close the driver's side latch for the window to operate. Remember to open it before closing the tailgate.
-The tailgate latch switch seems to be a common problem, check it early.

On my truck there were multiple bad connections, so it was hard to isolate the problem (Someone was very into crimp connectors :doh0715:). Basically I ended up soldering them all & eliminating the corroded plug to the motor.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

p.s. Remember to vote for us at Top 4x4. A vote a day, that's all we ask :toothless.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts