Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear window blew out yesterday for the 2nd time in 3yrs. I had a company come out and replace it today for relatively cheap BUT the new window doesnt go all the way down into the door like the old one did. When I asked the tech about it he said they all stop with about 3-4in. of glass still showing. I told him my last window went all the way into the door all he said was maybe thats why it shattered. Called his supervisor and he too said all the rear windows they put in the broncos always have a few inches of glass showing in the down position.

Arent the rear windows suppose to go completely into the door when glass is rolled down? Or was their really a problem with my last window? I thought the original went all the way into the door as well....any help is appreciated!

-Scott

·
Registered
199 Posts
My rear window blew out yesterday for the 2nd time in 3yrs. I had a company come out and replace it today for relatively cheap BUT the new window doesnt go all the way down into the door like the old one did. When I asked the tech about it he said they all stop with about 3-4in. of glass still showing. I told him my last window went all the way into the door all he said was maybe thats why it shattered. Called his supervisor and he too said all the rear windows they put in the broncos always have a few inches of glass showing in the down position.

Arent the rear windows suppose to go completely into the door when glass is rolled down? Or was their really a problem with my last window? I thought the original went all the way into the door as well....any help is appreciated!

-Scott
They are suppose to go all the way down into the tailgate. Otherwise, anytime you have it open you risk breaking it. In fact, the safety switch should not allow you to open the tailgate unless the glass is fully retracted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANK YOU!!! Thats what I tried to tell the glass tech today and he didnt want to hear it. I asked what the warranty was on the glass and he said lifetime. I asked if they stock to glass normally since I was gunna need a new one probably every other week. he said why? I told him because the glass is exposed and its gunna break when something hits it while loading and unloading the back!!! He then says well in that case it wont be warranty, I told him it sure will since you installed it wrong!! Ugh....long day sorry for venting.

So my next step is how do I get this LARGE glass company to understand it is suppose to go all the way down?

-Scott

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,078 Posts
Either they don't know what they're talking about, or they're lying to cover poor workmanship. Do they expect topless broncos to drive around with that sticking up too? Take a look at this thread. From post 11 on there's a bunch of topless Bronco pics that show the window fully down. Take them copies or email them some of those to prove your point.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
So my next step is how do I get this LARGE glass company to understand it is suppose to go all the way down?
Get the phone number of a district or regional manager. Shit rolls downhill.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Call the company that sold them the glass. Get a statement from them. Call a dealer, and have them write something up as well. Call another glass company and ask them?

Post their number here, and have a few hundred Bronco owners ask them if their glass goes all the way down like it is supposed to.

Measure the bottom track of your glass to the top. Compare that to OEM.

Also, is your window track in good shape? Maybe it is tore up, preventing the window to go all the way down. What is really strange, is the window has to go all the way down in order to open the gate, unless the switch was bypassed.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Actually, yeah, drive the Bronco over to their shop, and ask them to kindly open the tailgate. When they can't, tell them it always opened fine before their guy messed with the glass, and now it's their problem to fix, on their time.

·
Registered
126 Posts
;2385919 said:
Get the phone number of a district or regional manager. Shit rolls downhill.
X2 That should do it.

Mine is slow as hell sometimes. Need to weld a spot on the passenger side corner of the gate. I think that is what is wrong.

Anyway if the window doesn't go all the way down, the tailgate won't open because of the safety latch at the bottom.

Man, I'm slow at typing and SigEpBlue is giving you damn good advice. See how that works out for the morons. Tell the district manager they screwed up your gate when they put the glass in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went through this with my last Bronco, and it took 3 tries for them to attempt to get it through their heads..seems like the higher up I went the more I got in contact with people that knew less than the original man that "fixed" it. Just be sure the jerks do not blow the motor in the window.....And read the fine print alot of times it says "only good for original repair does not cover property damage"...SO 2 motors later I got it working MYSELF, them trying to HELP me cost me more money..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok guys heres the update.....

Spoke to the district manager and he too said it doesnt go all the way down and that their is only one way to install the glass so it must be right. I finally got him to get another piece of glass and to come do it again and he said fine, they will come out on Wed. June 2.

Instead of waiting I had a seperate glass company come out, I explained the situation and he said it is suppose to go all the way down on the phone and said he was willing to look at it. Came out took door apart and saw that it was installed wrong, broken defrost tab and the window was catching the support spring before bottoming out in the door.

This new company took the SAFELITE glass out and installed their glass along with repairing the now damaged defroster wiring and made sure the support tensioner(or spring) in the bottom of the door was mounted securley out of the way. GUESS WHAT???? The window works perfectly!!!

No longer will I uses SAFELITE or recommend them to any of my customers. I called them and left a message for them to come pick up thier piece of glass and I will be informing them never to come back.

Thanks for the help! Anyone in NJ looking for an excellent glass guy give Eugene a call at Tri-City glass!

-Scott

1 - 12 of 12 Posts