Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Rear window switcg

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  46079bronco 
#1 ·
I ran a heavy duty extension cord from my rear glass motor to the front of the cab, bypassing all the safety switches. Has anyone ever hooked wiring like that to the factory switch? I have been using a battery pack to roll the window up and down by reversing the polarity. That is getting rather old. I guess what I am asking is which wires would I use on the original switch to make that work. I don't want to mount another switch, would rather use the factory switch.
I have a ohm meter but am unsure how to tset the switch to find the right wire combination. HELP PLEASE!

#2 ·
Check all combinations of terminals for continuity with switch centered, switch thrown one direction, and then the other. Youll figger it out. Dont have the original wires still hooked to it? Mine was missing when I bought mine, how many terminals are on the switch?

#4 ·
do you have pics of this relay or can you tell me where to look for it?

thanks

#5 ·
I don't have any pics of it right now...

Its under the dash and I don't know what it should be screwed to because mine was just hanging down. Its gray metal and I think it has 4 wires going to it. I never fixed mine, it still hangs down and I just use a jumper wire when I want to use the dash switch.

#6 ·
yep, a picture of the relay would be helpful. I don't recall right off hand how many wires are attached to the switch but seems like it was 6. I had it out once but have since put it back. Daughter's getting married tomorrow and I havce to to dinner tonight or I would go out there and take a peep at it again.
Also, yes, all the wires are still intact. I could not get power to the switch last time I worked on it, but it could be like Mel said, the relay may be gone or bad.

#7 ·
The 'safety relay' only powers the motor if yr using the dash switch. The rear key switch is powered directly at all times. However..ALL grounding of the motor goes through the dash switch in all cases. The ground is 'interrupted' and replaced with 12V depending on which direction you are trying to go with the window with either switch..and, of course, one of the two motor leads is also interrupted by the latch interlock switch.

#8 ·
thats my problem, only the key switch works.

i swapped dash switches with no luck......i'd like to know what this relay looks like to see if it fixes my switch

#10 ·
The relay is right behind the gauge cluster, a screw mounts it to the steering column support, left side. I may have a spare I can take a picture of.

Working of the tailgate dash switch is kind of hard to explain. If I remember correct it has 6 terminals: 2 are powered 12 volts, two are grounded, and two go to the the rear window switch (the rear switch allows these two wires to connect to each side of the window motor when in neutral position). In the neutral postion both wires from the rear switch are connected to separate grounds and the 12 volts dead ends inside the switch. When you move the switch to UP or DOWN, the proper wire to the rear switch is switched from ground to 12 volts. Power then goes thru the rear switch into and out of the tailgate motor and back to the dash switch thru the other wire to ground.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.