Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a handful of searches and can't seem to find anyoen who has had this problem exactly.

When the vehicle is running, I hit the switch to raise/lower the window and it doesnt' work. Use the key to raise/lower it and it doesn't work.
I check the fuses,..the 2 30 amp silver boxed ones under the dash and even swapped with my buddy who has a Bronco also to check that they work.
I checked for voltage and I get 12volts TO the switch. When I check the 2 prong plug that connects to the lift motor I get intermittent voltage readings when using the switch. It almost acted like the switch had a bad connection but it was so intermittent I couldnt' tell if it was the switch wries or another problem?
I pulled the old motor and raplced with new and still nothign so I'm assuming I have a massive wiring problem somewhere in the vehicle between the switch and the motor?
I'm an inexperienced person with electrical but mechanically inclined so throw at me what you think this is.
HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS!?

·
Registered
251 Posts
i'm experiencing it right now.......dunno how to help though, i haven't fixed it yet. i got sick of screwing with the tailgate, i got it all back together with the new gate everything together and then the window doesn't work.....won't do anything.......frustrating

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have you tried a new switch? Mine was intermittent and then it finally gave out, but then again, mine worked with the key. I changed out the switch and problem was solved. I hope it's as easy as this for you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not repalaced the switch,..Also,..like an idiot after reading the super truck how to,...I realized I never touched the "emergency" switch on the tailgate while it was down! So I'm gonna' go kick myself in the ass and then regroup on my tailgate. I'll try this again and possibly it is just the switch,...I HOPE!! Thanks for the effort guys.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
To save yourself some time/trouble next time...Cut the wires to the motor and either wire in a connector or just resolder them when you're done (since this is a once in a long time fix...hopefully) like I did.

I put 12V across the wires goin to the motor to make sure it ran. Switch the polarity and it should run the other way. If it doesnt run you know your motor is bad. If it does, you know its good. 5 minutes and you've isolated the motor in or out of the problem

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sounds like the key switch is bad, on my 78 the owners cut the wires, and wired it directly cause they thought the dash switch was bad... but I replaced the key switch and she runs...

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Check the wires between the tailgate and the LH rear light. The bending and flexing can make them go bad. There is a connector behind the taillight which makes a good test point.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i just fixed mine saturday
1st i used jumper cables and went right to the plug for the motor nothing worked so i pulled the motor and it was fine. the arms for the window were real tight so i pushed the window down and coated all the moving parts with grease. the window moves smooth now so i put the motor back in and still nothing. i used the jumper cables and it would go up and down. i checked the plug and didn't have power on the outlet to the motor with it pluged in and the switch on so i cut the wires and used wire nuts now it works fine

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked this morning,...turned the truck on,...used my key in the rear/nothing,...used the switch/nothing.
I guess I'll check behind the tail light, splice into the wires to check for current, and replace the switch. This is all I can think of without replacing wires from the switch all the way to the back!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem and checked the rear window motor and all of the associated wiring. After a long time, and much hair pulling:banghead , I realized that the LH blinker was not working. I swaped it out and the rear window started to work. It seems as if some Ford engineer decided to wire the LH light and the tailgate harness in series. My .02

DD

·
Registered
260 Posts
Left rear tail light.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
There are several "problem areas" on the tailgate when it comes to the window motor working or not working. The first thing you can check is with the tailgate (TG) closed, push it closed even harder on the top left side of the TG.......sometimes the safety switch thinks the TG is still open if you dont push real hard on the top left corner....try it while turning the key.

Also the safety switch itself is a problem point......I ran a jumper across it on my 94 Bronco, just to remove it from the equation, and the window has worked fine now for a long time. Many Bronco owners do the same exact thing.

Also just behind the LS taillight is where the wire harness for the TG comes through the body and into the TG. From opening and closing the TG the harness gets folded and weakned....cracks form in the insulation and problems start. Give this area a VERY good going over.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really wish I would think ahead sometimes and do a good tech write up,...BUT,..I'm a freaken' idiot and never think that far ahead. I can however go back and write a piece on how I did this though,...If folks are interested in taking some guess work out of the equation,...
I got inside my rear tailgate and found, by process of elimination, the "safety switch" is bad. So instead of spending,...$225 bucks at the dealership!,....I spent about 4 bucks on wire connections, electrical tape, couple looms of wire, and went at it! Basically The safety switch for whatever reasons went KAPUT! so I had to by-pass this switch. Most of the tailgate is destroyed from being in afield sittign for a few years so the gears and such were not lubed very well.
I removed the wiring harness from the safety switch and lock and apulle dit all out. IT was a fun 3 hours between that motor and the passenger side. BUT I GOT POWER WINDOWS NOW! WHOO!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts