Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got any experience with tearing into the rear window to figger out why the glass doesn't go up and down? A few years ago I replaced the switch on the dash and that fixed that problem. Early in the winter the key switch stopped working and now it's all dead. Doesn't look like a 30 minute repair. Anybody been there done that?

Regards, -Dikthod

·
Registered
286 Posts
Could be any number of reasons. Start here - Steve83 - and educate yourself. While your at it familiarize yourself with the search function.

·
Registered
447 Posts
There really are a gazillion writeups on the rear window. I can only remember one thing and that is to be careful of the metal rod that is under tension. One member got smacked pretty good when he was taking the rear window apart.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To all you all I appreciate that you took your valuable time ot offer me comment and advice, even Steve83. Hey next time you're shooting Tequlia with God tell him I said hello.

I ended up adjusting the tailage strikers a bit and I was able get the glass to go up and down...for now. I have scanned theough 1/2 of the gazillion write ups and without questions there are a lot of opinions and advice. Thanks to all of us Bronco freaks for that.

Now that I bought a little time on this topic as I'm sure there are more possible issues lurking around for that inconvenient day, like rain. I'm planing on absorbing more advice and tearng into this only once. But before I do I will plan on replacing the motor, weatherstrip, back glass side run giudes, the upper rum seal and the rear glass. I will take pleasure in smashing the scared up old one, thanks Scott351

Best regards, Dikthod

"If you always do what you've always done, expect to get what you've always got" -- Seek change.

·
Registered
1 Posts
when my window stopped working, i ended up jumping a plugin right next to the drivers latch assembly. had something to do with whenever the tailgate was open your key switch and the dash switch wouldnt operate the window for safety reasons i guess. just something to look into also:thumbup

·
ford freak
731 Posts
I ended up adjusting the tailage strikers a bit and I was able get the glass to go up and down...for now.

i made a jumper and bypassed that circuit...now i can work on the window with the tailgate down.

·
Super Moderator
4,971 Posts
If the dash switch still works but the tailgate key switch doesn't, check the wire that comes out of the left side of the tailgate and then back into the body. After years of flexing, the wire there can become brittle and break in half, making your key switch not work. That's where my problem was when this happened. You don't even need to open up the window panel.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see your comment about adjusting the striker plate. Oh well, for what it's worth, still good information. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After the fact

Even after I get my problem handled, true experiences and info keeps coming in, YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!

Best regards, Dikthod

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you do in fact replace the back glass, do yourself a favor and replace the window regulator rollers. One of mine broke and the arm popped out of it, got jammed and shattered the glass. The rollers are about $6 from LMCTruck.com. I had to grind the old ones out but the new ones bolt on and mine being a '96 they were well worn. Also be sure to lube the regulator channel as well as the gears. You might also want to check the motor gear plugs for wear and replace because they get chewed up over time and the window will go down and not back up despite the motor running. They run about $8 from your local parts house. (HELP! part number 74410) BTW, LMC Truck also carries the weatherstripping and so does JCWhitney.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts