Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1994 bronco and want to know wat rear end gears are in it im not sure but i think i wanna put some 4.27's in it but first i want to know wat the originals are i am running 31 inch tires and it is a daily driver i just want to get better axeleration out of it thanx for what ever help yallcan give me

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
more than likely, you've got 3.55's in it now. So to get better acceleration I'd go to 4.10's.

remember that you'll need to regear the front axle at the same time as the rear....

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
3.27 :lolup Even if you have 31s, your stock gears are just fine. You have to remember, you're driving a tank, not a sports car, so don't expect it to drive like one

·
OOPS GIVE A DAMN IS BROKE
8,920 Posts
yea more than likely ya have the standard 3:55's in the bko if ya must change gears go with 4:10's or 4:56's depend of course on what tires up will have on at the time of gear change,, but if ya just want different gears those are fine that ya have now

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sry i meant to say 4.27's but wat would be the best gears to putin it if i want it to be a little quicker but still wanna be able to drive it on the highway? would 4.11's be ok? or would 4.56's be better?
i dont wanna completly through my gasmilage away iether seeing as how i only get like 10 mpg in town right now any ways

G

·
Damager said:
it's a Bronco .. it's a truck

gas milage is notoriously bad ... you will have to deal with it :shrug
im lucky if i even get 10! you should look into selling your bronco and getting one of the new hondas if its such a big deal :thumbup

to have some positive sense in this... theres really not much you CAN do to jack up your gas mileage a whole lot... maybe a few bolt on products here and there... but most of the things you do to modify your bronco will lower it, so just keep that in kind...

--ric

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Yes, you have a 3.55:1 gear ratio.

The proper gear ratio with 31" tires would be 3.73's. But that's such a small change it's not worth doing unless you can do the labor yourself or you want to change the carriers. 4:10's are your best option and will give you enough leverage up to 35's, but if you go to 35's, I recommend at least 4:56's. 4:10's will give your 31's a hell of alot of torque.

As for fuel economy, :thehand, you're never going to have it in a Bronco

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree with Dogonit.
The general thought is:
30" and smaller= stock 3.55
31"=3.73
33"=4.10
35"=4.46
Note: Ths is for general driving-- if you use it for heavy wheeling go with lower gears and lockers.

For a daily driver with 31" tires, 4.10 is too low a gear unless you live in the mountains. You'll either have to live with 3.55's or pay the piper and have 3.73's installed. Or lift it and put some 33's under it!

You can always try to squeeze more horsepower out of it with engine mods. or free flowing exhaust. or other means

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i do plan on having a complete 3" stainless steel exhaust put on and a K&N FIPK system put on it too. but y would 4.10's be to low a gear for daily driving if i want more torqu just wondering mostly all i ever do is drive around town and on the weekend at most proly 60-100 highway miles at most are put on it? so again i ask y would 4.10's be to low? just curius.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Because 4.10's with 31" tires will bring your RPM's in all gears higher than they were stock. Say with 29" stock tires in 3rd gear at 60mph with stock 3.55's, you are taching about 1600RPM. With 31" tires and 4.10's you may be taching about 2000RPM's. (these are not accurate numbers, just an example), thus your engine will rev higher-- meaning worse gas mileage, more wear & tear on the motor, things like that. It's all personal preference, but unless I was driving in the mountains with steep grades all the time, I would want something close to stock RPM's.
Use the various charts available to see the actual gear ratio to tire size comparisons.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts