Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changeds my tranny filter last month due to a leaky pan gasket. There was more black sludge than I have ever seen in any tranny I have ever done. Now this week ,my tranny started slipping up to 2k rpm then bangs hard into gear. Had to rebuild my FMX when the same thing happend before on my cougar. I can have a shop do my C6 for around $1k I don't have , or I can buy a aod with about 50k miles for $100 here in Houston. It only has to last until february when I can afford the C6 to be fixed. My question is will the AOD be a direct swap with my transfer case and linkages? I need to get the gashog back on the road.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
$1000 for a C6 rebuild!?!? :eek: You can pick up a brand-new C6 made for racing for that much.

An alternative would be to rebuild it yourself with about $150, a few tools, and a manual (the Haynes transmission manual covers the C6). C6 autos are one of the easiest to rebuild.

Regarding the AOD, I wouldn't consider that an upgrade. For a car that has to get respectable fuel economy, MAYBE, but not for a full-size truck. The AOD came from which vehicle?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tranny is from a 87 bronco. It isn't an upgrade just a quick fix to get me to work. My buddy has tge tranny and will install it for $150.
The quote for the C6 was a heavy duty rebuild with install and a 40k warranty. Just need to get the truck on the road quick and cheap. Iam sick of driving my wifes Rodeo.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
It should mate up fine, given the transfer case is the same. Just be sure that he's got the TV cable and brackets, and make certain your throttle body has the grommet to accept the end of the TV cable. It must be adjusted properly and not have slop at the throttle, else the transmission WILL burn up within a few miles. Been there, done that, bought the hat. :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
The trannies are defferent lengths so drive shafts will be an issue unless the vehicle that the tranny is in is the same as your vehicle. U may need the crossmember also. X2 on the aod tv cable they must work correctly.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Rebuilding the C6 is fairly easy. There is one special tool that you have to buy, but everything else can be done with hand tools you should already have.

Haynes makes a C4/C6 rebuild book that is awesome (I've rebuilt a C6 and 2 C4s with it) and a member here named Audra has a write up for rebuilding a C6 that has hundreds of pictures showing the process.

Once you get the trans on a work bench, you can have it rebuilt and back together in a day.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. I will be rebuilding my trans myself, haven't done it by myself yet, but helped on aT5 for my Z. I'll look for that writeup here after work. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
I've heard good things about thise on my travels through the internet.

http://www.badshoeproductions.com/products.html#c6

Two DVD disc set on overhauling the C6 transmission. The C6 was used from 1966 through the mid 90's. Mainly found in trucks and big bodied Fords, it was also seen in the performance Fords of the 60's and early 70's. This copyrighted video includes; case identification, tools needed, disassembly, inspection, clean up, clearance checks, air checks and final assembly. Added are helpful tips and info on heavy service use. The two DVD’s are divided into scenes to quickly view or review information.

Bonus Info Package: a list of essential part numbers needed when overhauling, FAQ’s, specification sheet, a case hydraulic port chart for locating passages to air test the clutches, servo and governor, a measured drawing for making a clutch spring compressor tool and help tips with part numbers when looking for a Wide Ratio gear set from a donor E4OD transmission.

See a video clip from the C6 transmission video at this link: http://www.youtube.com/badshoeproductions

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone have a link to Audra's c6 rebuild? I spent my whole lunch break yesterday looking for it, the search throws out "C6". I WORK 14 hours a day and have kids. I don't have a lot of time to wade thru posts. Thanks

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Ask and you shall receive:

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98095

If you know the author of the thread, search for the author, click on their statistics and then click find all threads by author...unless they are real thread starting whores, it isn't much to sift through.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts