Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall
For those who remember, I was building an engine a few months ago, and one would think that I should be done by now, but I dont have time to work on it, so I've taken my time. My engine has been in my truck for about a month and a half now and I still can't start it. At first I figured it was because I dont have enough fuel pressure, which is true, but right now my starter just cant turn the engine for more than a few seconds, even when the battery is being jumped, it has been turning slow, but its much worse now. So any advise would be appreciated :thumbup

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,133 Posts
May be a dumb question, but did you prime the oil before attempting to start it the first time? Also, how about the distributor, it could easily be 180* out of round and prevent your rig from starting. But I agree with DD, if you know there is a fuel pressure problem to begin with, why not start by fixing that?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kf4amu said:
new starter, relay, cables/connections. Bad battery...

Why isnt the fuel pressure up? Need a new regulator? Pump not running?
Thats what I'm slowly working on, I tinker with things and I then try to start it. My pump is running I have gotten that far.

jermil01 said:
May be a dumb question, but did you prime the oil before attempting to start it the first time? Also, how about the distributor, it could easily be 180* out of round and prevent your rig from starting. But I agree with DD, if you know there is a fuel pressure problem to begin with, why not start by fixing that?
No questions are dumb questions, but yes, I did prime it. And I've checked the distributor, I tried starting the engine once, and if it didn't I turned the dizzy 180* to see if it will, I pulled the no 1 cyl spark plug finally and set it right. And I also agree that i should fix the fuel pressure problem first, and thats what I'm doing (read above response)

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
That sounds just like what I went through this weekend. Can you turn the motor over by hand?

It looks like I had the torque converter bound up against the flywheel causing the same symptoms.

Look at this thread.

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
dosdovi said:
Hey yall
For those who remember, I was building an engine a few months ago, and one would think that I should be done by now, but I dont have time to work on it, so I've taken my time. My engine has been in my truck for about a month and a half now and I still can't start it. At first I figured it was because I dont have enough fuel pressure, which is true, but right now my starter just cant turn the engine for more than a few seconds, even when the battery is being jumped, it has been turning slow, but its much worse now. So any advise would be appreciated :thumbup

I owuld think about repriming the opil pump with it sitting that long. just my thoughts

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Was the engine assembled with assy lube on all the bearings and journals? Were all the bearings mic'd or plastigaged to verify proper clearances?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RLKBOB said:
Was the engine assembled with assy lube on all the bearings and journals? Were all the bearings mic'd or plastigaged to verify proper clearances?
yessir they most definately were

imlikeojnow said:
I owuld think about repriming the opil pump with it sitting that long. just my thoughts
will do :thumbup

90beater said:
That sounds just like what I went through this weekend. Can you turn the motor over by hand?

It looks like I had the torque converter bound up against the flywheel causing the same symptoms.
Good thought, but thats not the case, I can turn it by hand (with one hand)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts