Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've mentioned a few months ago that I've thought about putting a 427 Stroker in my Bronco. I've also thought about rebuilding my 351W. Now I need your help. I don't know what to do. The way I see it the 427 from PAW cost $3500 (ruff guess when you add shipping and extras). If I rebuild my 351 I want GT-40 or edelbrock heads, bored.30 over, rebuild kit. When you figure in all the cost of rebuilding it could cost $2500 to $3000. Now my question is which should I do Stroke it or rebuild it??? Does anybody know if the 427 is a good engine? Will it be too much power for my daily driver? What do you think the Pros and Cons are?? Need ya'lls opinion. Thanks :thumbup

·
I break chit
4,685 Posts
Bronco86 said:
I've mentioned a few months ago that I've thought about putting a 427 Stroker in my Bronco. I've also thought about rebuilding my 351W. Now I need your help. I don't know what to do. The way I see it the 427 from PAW cost $3500 (ruff guess when you add shipping and extras). If I rebuild my 351 I want GT-40 or edelbrock heads, bored.30 over, rebuild kit. When you figure in all the cost of rebuilding it could cost $2500 to $3000. Now my question is which should I do Stroke it or rebuild it??? Does anybody know if the 427 is a good engine? Will it be too much power for my daily driver? What do you think the Pros and Cons are?? Need ya'lls opinion. Thanks :thumbup

ok i am stroking to a 393W and i wish i never did it. i have to do a MAF swap and other stuff to make it run good. that being said i would go withthe edelbrock heads and rebuild the 351W with no Major mods like stroking it. moderate cam would be ok i think but go with at least 114* seperation.. ask fireguy or boulderbronco as they are building and picking out boulderbroncos parts for his 351W build.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
Too Much Power? There is no such thing (for daily driver or otherwise). DO IT!!!! :thumbup :chili: I'm thinking about it too but not that big (probably 331)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bluebeast said:
ok i am stroking to a 393W and i wish i never did it. i have to do a MAF swap and other stuff to make it run good. that being said i would go withthe edelbrock heads and rebuild the 351W with no Major mods like stroking it. moderate cam would be ok i think but go with at least 114* seperation.. ask fireguy or boulderbronco as they are building and picking out boulderbroncos parts for his 351W build.
OK, I did some more thinking and some refiguring. If I went with the 427 it would probably cast about $5000 cause of the mods I would have to do plus I add in a few dress up things I would want. The extra HP would be nice....really nice, but too many things I want to do, and not enough money. So I think I will go with rebuilding my 351W. That way I can keep it within my price range and still have money for the extra goodies. I've already got Hedders, intake, cam, Mallory igntion all I need are heads, rebuild kit and have it bored .30 over that should give me the extra HP I'm lookin for. Hopfully I should have enough left over for a 4" lift kit and some 33s. A Bronco owners work is never done.

·
Registered
305 Posts
#1. You are running a carb, thus no PITA fuel injection upgrade needed.
#2. You want power at 5000 rpm (hot rod 351), or 2500 rpm (427 stroker)?
#3. IMHO, $3000 for a stroker (buy a stroker kit and assemble it yourself).
#4. World Products Roush iron heads.
#5 I believe a 393 stroker can be done cheaper, with mostly production parts.

Just my $0.02

(keep an eye on www.corral.net classifieds for some good deals)

Steve

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
yes yes....assemble yourself. Much cheaper. Just use a machine shop for the boring etc. I rebuilt one of my 351W with only a .030 over bore. All assembly was done by me. The other 351W is being reserved for a nice stroker. Crower makes a baja beast cam. Lots of low end power. Part # 15935 :chili:

·
1,739 Posts
Oh and if it's an HO you could just get the stock heads done with a mild valve job and save some money. Then get better heads later on. That's what I did.

·
Registered
142 Posts
There is a big difference between a 351 and a 427. Can your transmition and the rest of the driveline handle this kind of abuse? Even a C6 will throw fits unless it is properly set up. A 427w can throw torque numbers in that 500+ lb/ft range without skipping a beat. Not that this is a bad idea, but you may find yourself exceeding even that $5k barrier with tranny/axle/t-case build ups.

The 427 is starting to get up there in size for a 351 block. Most of the guys I have seen with this caliber or larger engine are running aftermarket blocks. (Sportsman/Dart/etc) But most of them are after 550+HP, which is probably overkill for the average person. The 427's main problem is that the rod ends will be rotating in such a big circumfrance that there is a good chance of them contacting the camshaft. (over 4" stroke) there is 2 solutions, 1- you can use a small base circle cam, or 2- lightly grind the rod bolt heads. This would have to be done before the assembly is balanced.

It may be a whole lot easier to go with a 393. This can be build for practically the same price as your 351. The combo goes like this... 3.85" stroker crank (scat makes good and cheap cranks), stock 351w rods, 302 pistons. This combo works out about perfect and makes a cheap 393.

Have fun :thumbup

·
FSB warrior
6,114 Posts
steell said:
#1. You are running a carb, thus no PITA fuel injection upgrade needed.
#2. You want power at 5000 rpm (hot rod 351), or 2500 rpm (427 stroker)?
#3. IMHO, $3000 for a stroker (buy a stroker kit and assemble it yourself).
#4. World Products Roush iron heads.
#5 I believe a 393 stroker can be done cheaper, with mostly production parts.

Just my $0.02

(keep an eye on www.corral.net classifieds for some good deals)

Steve
Agree with this guy on all acounts

BTW im stationed in Minot...

·
1,739 Posts
Gamehunter said:
The 427's main problem is that the rod ends will be rotating in such a big circumfrance that there is a good chance of them contacting the camshaft. (over 4" stroke) there is 2 solutions, 1- you can use a small base circle cam, or 2- lightly grind the rod bolt heads. This would have to be done before the assembly is balanced.
Hmm, I would think that pre-made stroker kits would not do that. At least you could call and ask them about it. Otherwise it really isn't a kit for that engine. Just a kit you can make work in that engine and then you mind as well go find all the parts yourself instead of buying the kit. Haven't bought a stroker kit yet so I don't know. :doh:

B

·
0 Posts
Go 427! Upgrade fuel system, tranny, front axel, etc. etc. I was thinking along the line of a 393 with my blower. Way too many other mods to make it work. Too much expense and time! I'm gonna stoke the 302 keeping price down cause I won't need new fool system, intake, exhaust, tranny, clutch, front axel, and etc etc. Why stop at a 427 if you have the cash you can get a 454 stroker.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Aikidoka said:
Hmm, I would think that pre-made stroker kits would not do that. At least you could call and ask them about it. Otherwise it really isn't a kit for that engine. Just a kit you can make work in that engine and then you mind as well go find all the parts yourself instead of buying the kit. Haven't bought a stroker kit yet so I don't know. :doh:
Correct. Most of the kits do account for this problem. For example, CHP's kits come with the rod bolts already ground to fit. Its just something to keep in mind when the engine is being put together. Nothing worse than getting it together and finding out it needs to be tore down. I personally would think twice about putting a 4" or larger crank in a stock deck height 351w block if its just a daily driver, but of course there are alot of people out there that have done it with exceptional results.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Bronco86 said:
I agree the 427 is very 'Lustful' but if you're looking for longevity in the motor I would stay away from the bigger stroker motors, the 393 long rod version (6.200" rods instead of stock 5.956" 351w rods and 302w .030" over pistons) seems to be the best setup for that. At least within the working mans budget anyway.
A 408/410 won't give you much more horse if any over the 393w but will give you more torque. Actually you only gain maybe 25-30hp going to the 393w stroker over a 357w but you can gain much more on the torque side, usually 35-50ftlbs.
If you went with the stock 351 rods I've heard of a few guys having luck with longevity by coating the piston skirts. The main problem with using the stock rods is it ends up being a bit too much side load on the pistons as they leave the bottom of the cylinder. I've never witnessed anyone in person having success with the coating but it is interesting. I usually see about 50-70,000 miles on the stock rod stroker setups.
For heads the Eddies or a TF set would be the best, but if the budget gets tight you could probably find a set of ported E7's or GT's that would work for you. Just keep in mind if you go the stroker route the stock heads tend to choke them, with or without porting/bigger valves.

Greg

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry I haven't replied to any of the post I've been on vacation for the past week. I'd like to thank everyone for giving me their opinion. I think I'm just gonna rebuild my 351W slap on some heads and some extra goodies and call it done. I'd like to have the 427 Stroker but the cost is more than I can afford. Thanks

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
460. Why go aftermarket when you can go stock?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
cobrajrb said:
http://www.fordcobraengines.com/460_500lbs..htm this is what i what to through in my 88 bronco
Pretty sweet

I'd like to get an old 4X4 F-250 with a running 460,tranny and all the wiring I'd need and put it into my Bronco. One more year and she's emissions exempt !

Never going back to a carb after EFI

Sixlitre

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
I have an old rusting F-250 highboy with a 390, but it ain't for sale sorry. I know a guy with an old police edition LTD w/ 460 and C6, trying to get him to sell it to me to replace the 300 in my F-100.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts