Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a 302 in my bronco. it gots almost 200000 miles on it and its way underpowered.i have done the sixlitre upgrade, and k and n drop in and exhaust. i was wondering the pros and cons of swapping a 351 in there. how do u guys like the 351 in your broncos? did you do the swap?

·
Premium Member
13,585 Posts
I just spent the last 2.5 weeks swapping in a new 302 EFI in my BKO practically by myself, re-using many parts that just needed cleaning and painting. I bought it 5 years ago and the PO had a "long block kit" installed 7 years ago and the motor maybe had 45k miles on it total but I couldn't attest to the quality and the comapny is now out of business. Last year it wasn't running good, failed Cali smog testing and ultimatley I found out # 2 cylinder was dead, no compression wet or dry so I searched the net and decided on a budget and found a company on EBay where I had a SWEET, complete 302 long block assembled about 29 miles from home and they we're the nicest, most helpful old school people who had it done in 10 days and the price was $1,575.00 no tax I paid cash with core exchange which I got back. My original goal was to go stock short block with GT 40 P and headers but I ran out of time because of a 2 week window I had to do it in, but I may do that down the road.

Because of this site I've spent a lot of time learning about and fixing my BKO and it payed off, I had the tranny rebuilt 3 years ago and I've gone thru just about everything now, with a couple of exceptions. I haven't added the bills yet but maybe total cost is around $2,100-$2,200 or but so for me it was definately worth doing, I now have a truck that's mechanicaly sound you might say and though this was my first swap, daunting as it was it turned out to be a terrific frustrating challange, I had enormous help and support from many of our BKO Brothers who hung in there with ideas and suggestions to get it done so I would suggets you consider it, check out thread by CobraJet regarding stock 302 with GT40P heads and headers ~

Swapping one cubic for another say 302 to 351 I don't think is that difficult and if you "search" you'll find indepth info on what works and doesn't but IIRC I think it's pretty staright foward.

With that said, if you like your BKO and it's in good shape overall why not consider what I did, in the end it's a lesser expensive alternative.

Good Luck on your decision Brother ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just spent the last 2.5 weeks swapping in a new 302 EFI in my BKO practically by myself, re-using many parts that just needed cleaning and painting. I bought it 5 years ago and the PO had a "long block kit" installed 7 years ago and the motor maybe had 45k miles on it total but I couldn't attest to the quality and the comapny is now out of business. Last year it wasn't running good, failed Cali smog testing and ultimatley I found out # 2 cylinder was dead, no compression wet or dry so I searched the net and decided on a budget and found a company on EBay where I had a SWEET, complete 302 long block assembled about 29 miles from home and they we're the nicest, most helpful old school people who had it done in 10 days and the price was $1,575.00 no tax I paid cash with core exchange which I got back. My original goal was to go stock short block with GT 40 P and headers but I ran out of time because of a 2 week window I had to do it in, but I may do that down the road.

Because of this site I've spent a lot of time learning about and fixing my BKO and it payed off, I had the tranny rebuilt 3 years ago and I've gone thru just about everything now, with a couple of exceptions. I haven't added the bills yet but maybe total cost is around $2,100-$2,200 or but so for me it was definately worth doing, I now have a truck that's mechanicaly sound you might say and though this was my first swap, daunting as it was it turned out to be a terrific frustrating challange, I had enormous help and support from many of our BKO Brothers who hung in there with ideas and suggestions to get it done so I would suggets you consider it, check out thread by CobraJet regarding stock 302 with GT40P heads and headers ~

Swapping one cubic for another say 302 to 351 I don't think is that difficult and if you "search" you'll find indepth info on what works and doesn't but IIRC I think it's pretty staright foward.

With that said, if you like your BKO and it's in good shape overall why not consider what I did, in the end it's a lesser expensive alternative.

Good Luck on your decision Brother ~ :thumbup
man thats cool, so they built you a rebuilt engine and you gave them yours. so the motor was completely stock for $1500? nice. i could even swap performance parts from mine to put on the new one. thanks man. is there alot of difference in power?

·
Premium Member
13,585 Posts
7h3 HoRsE:
The only real problem with the old motor was #2 cylinder, when I'd slow down and speed up in traffic it wouldn't respond but would buck and jerk and the dissy would rattle until the RPM's came up and it smoothed out. The gas consumption was crap but oddly enough it didn't burn, blowby or consume oil, it didn't overheat but I had to learn to drive it a bit differently, ie: slow down to downshift the tranny rather then put it underload in passing gear which can be hard on the tranny.
The stock 302 EFI was rated at 185HP with 139HP at 3500 rpm/s ~ CUTE, NOT!
As I mentioned I wanted to go stock short block using those GT40P heads and FMSR headers that virtually plug & play (Cobra Jet thread) but due to time constraints I didn't have time to search around on the net to find a set of heads and re-due etc. so I went stock for now.

With my AOD tranny D1 & D2, it's a pleasure now just to be able to put it in D1 and go up or down, fast or slow without the RPM"s dropping off sharply and the dissy detonatining all the time. The power now is so much better and fuel consumption just at a glance on the gauge is much improved, I'll have to figure mileage but it's still a stock 302, but NEW thought I may add some shorty headers from Summit that plug & play but we'll see $$$$$ ~ lol lol
For budget purposes I re-used just about everything ie: stock exhaust headers, lower intake, FI plenum, valve covers, oil pan, Motorcraft TFI Distributor which was only 3 years old but looked very good.
I decided to leave off the AC Compressor which wasn't being used and needs rebuilding, more room ~

I had to replace a starter motor with no voltage, my Bosch and stco one both took a dump, I did put new injectors in, temp gauge sending unit and water pump everything was cleaned and repainted tool grey, black motor and aluminum FI plenum with yellow dipsticks ~ lol lol and I think it looks great.

I did manage to down load pictures of my BKO and vidoes of the swap on Super Motors so check it out.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
197 Posts
i had a 302 5 spd and my 351 has a ton more power.

but thats not a fair comparison because my 351 has some work done on it.

whatever motor you go with, you should do a few mods while its out.

·
Registered
750 Posts
These motors weren't built for speed. Well maybe originally. The 302 has its perks as does the 351. GL with your decision. You can have my 302 if you want. But you have to come and get it. :beer

D

·
Designated Tranny Killer
7,309 Posts
find a JY 302 and build it/bore it now then just swap it in when its done

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
my 351 has 150000 miles on it and it gets out of its own way for sure. merging on the highway is no sweat, i've never floored the truck, 1/2 to 3/4 gas gets it up to 60 in no time only reving to like 3800-4000 rpms tops. i feel like this motor has alot more miles left in it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Changing engines will not be that beneficial. Either way you go you will sense a difference in torque but not so much where I could justify going from a 5.0 to a 5.8. I would rather suggest you rebuild yours or find a good deal on another one. Get the engine running 100% and then change out your gears for the response and bottom end your looking for.

I just installed 4.88's in mine instead of beefing up my engine and it practically changed my Bronco into a monster in comparison to how it was before.:thumbup

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.