Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, during a routine oil change the other day, I noticed a metallic object clogging the drain plug. My motor is making metal. Later that day, I'm pretty sure I discovered that the rod is knocking. If it is true, what do I do? This Bronco only cost me $500. Is it worth it to rebuild the 302 or just junk or part out the vehicle and go get another Bronco. I'm in a real dilemma. I'm not mechanical enough to do the rebuild the motor myself either. Kinda attached to this Bronco just because it is my first Bronco (second car, second Ford). I would appreciate any input that any of you guys have to offer. Thanks

·
Registered
488 Posts
Is it your only vehicle? If you have another car drive it until you have the time and money to get the Bronco fixed if you are really attached to it. Look around, you might get lucky and find a great deal on an engine if thats what'll get yours running again. Good luck :beer

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya. I'm just thinkin though, Bronco's around my area are generally very high mile (200,000+) and so are any motors. I have a 1991 Explorer that I am driving in the meantime. Even if I don't rebuild the motor, I am getting ready to shoot a fresh coat of black over the original fading black. Even if it never drives again, its still my car to learn how to do stuff on. I will be hooking up a CB and the stereo in the next couple days to at least bring any kind of minor value to it. I will make some calls and get some quotes on a rebuild. I may update the A/C too if I can scrape a deal. I am also still having rear tailgate issues. I drove to SF to pick up a tailgate I saw on Craigslist that had the proper window and installed it an nothing happened. The cable between the main power and the tailgate window control had been cut. I took a car battery and "jumped" the main power cable and was able to get the window up to keep the rain out (these storms here are wicked right now). I still just want a working tailgate. So if anybody has one that works great, I will pay and drive to get it. I will take pics tomorrow when I begin minor paint work.

·
Man with a Golden ticket
4,003 Posts
I'd say it really depends on the condition of your Bronc and how much you love it. From a purely financial standpoint you can't justify putting a few thousand dollars into a rebuild or a crate motor when afterwards you would have a truck that is worth less than the motor you put in it.

If you love it and plan on keeping it then it may be worth rebuilding or dropping in a crate motor since if you bought another one you could end up right back where you are in a few weeks. It's a crapshoot anytime you buy a used vehicle.

If you decide you want to keep it look into crate motors too.
Unless you are rebuilding the motor yourself it's about as cheap to buy a crate motor and if you buy from a reputable place it will come with a warranty.

You could buy a used motor someone is selling but that is a crapshoot too. Unless you are doing the install yourself the labor to replace a couple of motors would pay for a new one.
:beer

·
Registered
897 Posts
You say you cant rebuild a motor. Can you swap one? Whats your level of skill?? On a budjet, I would look around for a junkyard motor. Not just trucks, but cars also. You may find a nice motor from a Mustang, or a van or something, and swap the truck parts onto it. Probably the cheapest way to go.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
Call the guys at Carolina Machine and make the drive to go get a long block. You wont regret it. Then have someone swap the engines for you for 500 bucks or so.

www.cmengines.com

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
1. What kinda shape is your bronco really in, and be truthful to yourself.
2. What kind of skills do you have? Whats the hardest thing you have done? etc.,
3. Do you know someone that could help you do the work?

If you have the time to learn how to rebuild/work on the engine, it is well worth the time to learn how to do it. I would say if the bronco is not totally rusted out, get a motor/rebuild a motor and get it going again if you have the money and time. Just acess everything you think needs done, and then add some extra to it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I have the skill as to swap out parts. Time is sort of an issue, especially the budget. The Bronco is an original California car and has no rust frame rust. There is some minor surface rust I have been working on, but no cancer. The Bronco is in fair shape. I just took it past 200,000 miles before it crapped out. I bought it to mess around with, and I didn't even get a month. In the long term, I plan on keeping the car, and thats why I am interested in rebuilding. I'm working on paint over the last few days. I'll take my camera tomorrow so I can finally take some pics. Thanks for the input guys. I'm gonna go look up some crate 302s now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts