Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to do a "refresh" of a 100k mi 460 that was running well when pulled. I'm getting a basic rebuild kit and oil pump from Summit for the bottom end without pistons. I will make sure everything measures out true before I start and hope a good hone and dip will make sure oil and coolant journals will be enough. For the heads I will dissamble clean and put new valve seals in. I have to do this on the cheap. My questions are mainly directed at the heads.... as long as the valves are "burnt" do I really need an angle grind and do you recommend putting in new valve guides as a preventative measure (I assume I can press them out on my own) or just seals if the guides show little wear. I put together my 351W with junkyard parts on the cheap ($300) with no machine work and it came out great. I need to do the same with this engine. Is there anything on the 460 that needs special attention... any problem areas with the 460? I am a backyard mech with a good understanding of what needs to be done and have thrown together engines in the past with no issues but this is going into a buddy's truck and I'd like any advice... so far I am looking at $250 for the engine, approx $300 for the kit, and approx $300 in misc. Thoughts?...

·
Registered
815 Posts
It really depends on the engine you have at hand. Check compression and oil pressure before you tear it apart if possible. Stay very mild on the cam.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Make sure you use 429/460 cam gears, its a nice bump in power.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts