Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´m rebuilding my 400 and I have this 2 options....

-Stock 8,4:1 Federal mogul pistons or TMeyer 9,3:1 CR pistons....???

I´m planning to use a performer plus edelbrock cam, 600cfm carb performer intake and Mallory hei ignition.

What do you think about that?

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
depends on fuel quaility at your local pumps.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
your typically going to need higher octane gas.

·
Registered
689 Posts
9.3 is not that high and depending on where you have the timming set you could run 87octane.

·
Registered
168 Posts
i just built a 410 tmeyers with similair compression and it sparked knocked till i dumped 93 in it and clearance issues called for thicker head gaskets the way the pistons are designed or it was cause i 0 decked the block and shaved the heads

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
TMI...would be my pick, no questions asked. As Jopes pointed out though, you'll need to bump to 91, probably 93 octane. Depending on the ethanol content, sometimes I can get away with 91...other times it has to be 93.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
9.3 is not that high and depending on where you have the timming set you could run 87octane.
400's had issues with pinging from the factory with 9:1 CR. :twak

Keep in mind gas..... quality is not getting better, but there is always additives....
additives get expensive, you can gain more power from your cam choice than increasing compression by one point

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

additives get expensive, you can gain more power from your cam choice than increasing compression by one point
This is exactly what I supposed.....But I don´t have too much experience with this engines......

I blown up my last diesel engine cos the shity quality of the diesel......and that was my concern about increasing the CR .......and may be is not "necessary"...

I will run an Edelbrock performer plus cam, lifters and springs. ....Performer intake, Edelbrock 600cfm 4bb carb, mallory hei distributor and heddman headers.....and ford motorsports true roller timming chain set....

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

What do you think about the edelbrock performer plus cam running with the stock pistons?

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
well here they are.....T Meyer 9.3:1 CR pistons

Those look sweet. Running stock heads?

I was going to run about 12:1 with pane, but have since decided to go with some sort of EFI, porbably somewhere around 10.5:1. Hoping to get away with 93.

·
Registered
359 Posts
With a small cam and iron heads, 9.3:1 would do best with 93 octane, unless you retard the timing slightly, which will negate the efficiency benefit of the higher compression.
Ox, with iron heads and a truck cam, 10.5:1 will ping unless you retard the timing. My Mustang motor has 10.95:1 with aluminum canted valve hi-swirl heads and a big solid lifter cam. ( 250/260 duration @ .050" ) and it barely gets away with premium gas. Of course, the more aggressive the cam, the lower the cylinder pressure at low rpm and the less octane required. Vice versa for smaller cams.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those look sweet. Running stock heads?

I was going to run about 12:1 with pane, but have since decided to go with some sort of EFI, porbably somewhere around 10.5:1. Hoping to get away with 93.
Yes I run stock heads....

·
Registered
31 Posts
go TMeyer all the way.I just dropped in a 400 he built for me and I love it.I went with his pistons and my setup is about 9.3 to 1 and how it is tuned now it needs 91 octane and I am OK with that.
If you are that worried about it spend about 300 buck more and have Tim set you up with a set of aussie heads and stock pistons.That way you get higher compression but since the aussie heads have the "quench" you can get away with lower quality fuel.
But you should talk to Tim about it,for those of you who do not know he is the expert and he is very honest.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
go TMeyer all the way.I just dropped in a 400 he built for me and I love it.I went with his pistons and my setup is about 9.3 to 1 and how it is tuned now it needs 91 octane and I am OK with that.
If you are that worried about it spend about 300 buck more and have Tim set you up with a set of aussie heads and stock pistons.That way you get higher compression but since the aussie heads have the "quench" you can get away with lower quality fuel.
But you should talk to Tim about it,for those of you who do not know he is the expert and he is very honest.
Hi Lucas I talked to Tim and and then I decided to go with his pistons......since my english is not the best he made a big effort and talked to me....:histerica:histerica:histerica.....I think is a great guy.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any thing new going on here? :popc1:
I´m waiting for the camshaft and bearings....the block is machined and pistons pressed on the rods....they came in different shippments.:doh0715::doh0715:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts