Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
September 15 FOTM
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt my 95 351 because the rings were bad. We put it together ran the 30 min break in shut it off and let it sit over night. Started it today and it ran extremely rich and didnt hold idle. After 20 mins the computer started to lean it out so we took it for a test drive. After getting to around 15mph at 1000 rpm the truck would not go any faster and the rpms wouldnt go any higher(and the throttle is hooked up fine so its not that). We let the truck sit after that for about 15 mins to let it cool down and now no matter what we do it wont start. Its getting spark and fuel to the injectors so i can only guess that its computer related. Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
Are the fuel injectors firing? Any codes? Are all the sensors connected correctly? Off the top of my head check the ect and tps connectors, I've had a funky tps connection cause all sorts of problems. If you spray some starting fluid in the intake does it try to fire?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Did you check timing? Are you sure that your firing order is correct? How are you sure the injectors are still firing-- noid light? If not, get one and make sure, they are cheap at HF or you can probably rent a set at autozone. Since it has quit running have you pulled plugs? If it was running super rich they may all be fowled.

Pull codes even if the MIL isn't set. It has been said about a billion times on here, the MIL does not always light, and it does not always stay lit and the ECM will still have stored codes. TPS failed can possibly cause the ECM to go into "flood mode" and it cuts fuel. I had this one happen on my 460, found it with a noid light, neither bank of injectors were firing. Will it start on ether or a dribble can if you can rig one up?

Just some thoughts for you, I know ti's frustrating, but if the ECM was doing fine before the rebuild, then chances are it is something that you did while removing and reinstalling the engine. My gut says its timing just based on the lack of power and how it's running. It doesn't really explain the rich condition unless maybe firing order is off or timing is waaaay the hell out there.

Good Luck,
Jason

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
pull the hose off the fuel regulator and see if you smell fuel

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
I don't know how you can clean a TPS.

·
September 15 FOTM
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:stupid

:scratchhe
I sprayed electrical parts cleaner on the throttle body were the sensor sits and the sensors. That's the only thing I did and now it starts.
But I think it's bad. Now the rpms won't go over 3,000 and the throttle doesn't feel right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts