Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. 1986 XLT used for Elk hunting only... 351 with Carb in need of replacement, I would like replace with a motor from a year that does not have any of the emissions add ons and will easily swap without any mods. I also would like to put something in that would eliminate the problem with oil pan crossmember clearance should I need to replace the pump later on. Any recomendations or ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
You can rebuild your engine as it is, just replace the intake with one that doesn't have the EGR mount on it, then adjust your carb to run a little bit richer (IIRC) - or, better yet, run an Edelbrock 1406

The crossmember would be completely custom. again, IIRC, you'll have to build custom motor mounts to the frame, as they're mounted to the crossmember. I would also bulid a crossmember below the balancer and below the tranny bellhousing. Someone will have to confirm/correct me on the stock crossmember... I only know about the 78-9s

·
Registered
506 Posts
Dave, that would only work if he did a sas, as the suspension is also tied to that x-member.:twak

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback, Babblack is right about the xmember, does any one have any other ideas to get around the oil pan problem?
These engineers just don't think about all the difficulties when they are designing a setup do they?
Also, if I rebuile the original motor, there is a couple of ports on the back of the block for the EGR I believe, andy suggestions on how to block those off if I eliminate the emissions?

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
I have an 86 XLT carbed. My egr is on a plate between the carb and manifold. Just leave out the plate. Get a carb spacer or something instead. Reroute vacuum lines accordingly. Of course needing to pass emissions I have never tried this nor do I know if it's possible. :shrug

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
351 stroker or short block?

Thanks for the reply Aikidoka, but I was talking about the ports that come out of the back of the block itself. There is a tube that come out of the heads that has a port on each side.
I think they vent some exhaust out the block and back through the EGR that you were talking about. Does anyone have any idea how to close these off if I stroke my 351 or can I order a short block that comes without all the emissions mods?

·
Registered
77 Posts
The port on the back of the head would be your only real problem I believe and only a small one as they sell threaded plug for those or figure out the thread size and go to a hardware store and get them. I think that would work just fine all I did was get the old tube that connected them both and cut it and soldered it shut for mine. check these out. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=TFS-51400265

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
Oh. Hmmm, I only knew of the port on the back of the heads for pumping air in from the air pump. I'll have to take a closer look at mine next time. :banghead

1 - 9 of 9 Posts