Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Man of endless projects
8,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need to replace the front shocks on my 96. i keep blowing out the cheap ~40$ shocks (BDS, ProComp, DoetschTech). want to put in some decent quality shocks that might actually last some hard abuse and have adjustable valve settings. not really wanting to spend more than $150 each. anyone recommend a brand/series of shock? want to order them tomorrow.

i know Rancho has the RX9000 shocks but i never been a fan of Rancho shocks. ProComp doesnt seem to have a good catalog when i looked at their MX-6 series, everything is 'vehicle specific' for extended/compressed lengths. any other brands to look for?

·
Man of endless projects
8,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
think i decided im going to spring for Bilstein non-adjsutable remote reservoir M7100 series. they may not be dial adjustable like i wanted but i think the quality will be worth it. 200$ per shock is sorta painful. just gotta decide which valving i want to go with as there is 7 different valving variants for the same shock model shock.

·
Ford Hoarder
6,278 Posts
Check amzon I was able to get some for around 160 per shock.
I think you will be pleased with the 7100's. They are rebuildable as well, if you happen to not get the valving to your likely right off the bat.

·
Man of endless projects
8,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the remote reservoir 7100 are all pretty much 200$ everywhere. the non-reservoir are cheaper around 160$ but i would loose about 2" of shock travel. so im willing to spend abit more

any recommendations what valving you think i should get? im using ProComp 6" coils with 460lb spring rates. i dont really offroad the truck much anymore but when i do its pretty harsh and at moderate speeds through trails or sand and occasional mud, so i imagine a softer shock would probably be better and probably deal with heat better. since i did the F250 shock towers i can add a much longer shock for more travel so i can probably get away with a softer shock without bottoming out. for broncos with 6" lift, Bilstiens recommends a shock with 398/94 valving which is pretty high. even their valving guide says for full size truck with IFS to have a high 326/149 valving while solid axle is much lower at 255/70. higher the number meaning stiffer.

they offer a 7 variants of the size im looking for. 1 has custom valving that i probably do myself i guess. the other 6 are 150/50, 170/60, 180/75, 255/70, 275/78, 360/80. so i can defiantly go stiffer like they recommend but i was thinking probably the 275/78

off-road-racing-shock-absorbers-000010.jpg

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,637 Posts
I would be curious about the correct valving as well. been looking at those 7100's also but unsure what to have them at for my ProComp TTB 6" lift. Are you still running the TTB or SAS?

·
Man of endless projects
8,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
still TTB. i emailed Bilstien but i imagine it would take them awhile to respond. was hoping to order them today so i can do them this weekend. but id rather wait till i know which valving i need. i imagine its a pain in the but to change the valving shims

if your using the stock shock mounts, id imagine you would want the closest valving to the 398/94 that the 6" lift shock they offer. but i could be wrong.

·
Ford Hoarder
6,278 Posts
I had/have the 360/80s on my 78. But its also got superflex springs too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts