Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to bend some compound flanges on my tailgate for a panel I plan to inset. I looked at Eastwood's version, but it was $45.00 and good for up to 22ga. I think the factory sheetmetal is 18-20 ga. Anyone have any recommendations on a good brand/model/source? I think an offset tool would work best for this application.
Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
259 Posts
Performance tool.com(I think that is the site) carries a offset seamer. They all work good. Stick to the 3in size it is easier on the hand. 45 is on the high side. you can get a stright seamer at sears for about 35.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Moose said:
Performance tool.com(I think that is the site) carries a offset seamer. They all work good. Stick to the 3in size it is easier on the hand. 45 is on the high side. you can get a stright seamer at sears for about 35.
Moose,
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna look up Performance Tool now and swing by Sears tomorrow.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I tried the performance tool website and Sears with no luck. Any other ideas? Besides, are the Sears seamers good for 18-20 ga?

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Try Malco Products or Wiss. I use both for doing HVAC duct work. They'll all open wide enough for the gauge you want but lets face it the thicker the material the harder it is to bend. We normally don't deal with anything over 24ga . I've used my stuff on 22ga once and it all worked just required a little more effort.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, kht. I ordered 2 pair of Midwest Snips brand-offset and straight off the Home Depot site yesterday. I haven't used these before, but I get the impression that the key is to make the bend slowly across the whole length of the metal, is that true, in your experience? I guess HVAC guys probably have the most experience with this kind of work, but I will be doing this to my tailgate sheetmetal-I think 18-20 ga.
Rick

·
Registered
259 Posts
I was just was able to go by performance tool to verify the the website.I was wrong the site it is performancelinetool.com

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Dallasbronco said:
Thanks for the info, kht. I ordered 2 pair of Midwest Snips brand-offset and straight off the Home Depot site yesterday. I haven't used these before, but I get the impression that the key is to make the bend slowly across the whole length of the metal, is that true, in your experience? I guess HVAC guys probably have the most experience with this kind of work, but I will be doing this to my tailgate sheetmetal-I think 18-20 ga.
Rick
When bending longer sections of metal I use one of the folders below. You'll quickly find that it's difficult to get a clean bend with just seamers on longer pieces. The other thing I'll do is use a piece of slide (s cleat) cut it to length and slide it over the edge of metal I intend to bend.Then use the hand seamers, the s-cleat spreads the force over a larger area allowing clean bends. Again metal thickness determines how well it will turn out. You need to remember that seamers and bars will only bend up to about an inch in depth. Any more than that you need an actual brake.

These will probably not work with 22ga or thicker. The opening is not adjustable and is a tight fit with 26 ga and has to be hammered (tapped) onto 24ga sheet metal.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, man. I've got alot of work to do on the tailgate amyway, so I figured I would have to do alot of hammer and dolly work after making the bend to get it all straight. Fortunately I'm making a 45-deg. flange with a gradual edge so I may have a little relief to work with.
Rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts