Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Which spring should i use on the front axle?

• 15.6" travel airbags

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • 16" or so coilovers

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • longer custom wound springs.

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Who cares

Votes: 7 24.1%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hmm, now i am doublke thinking my front suspension ideas.
its is going to be a wristed radius arm setup i know to hang the D60.
but the springs is the question
-should i do airbags like i orginally though? they will cost me $300 in parts plus the steel to make the mounts, plus airhose fittings and manual valves
-Coilovers. mucho cash, what, about $1000 for the shocks and springs? will coilovers work okay with a wristed rad arm setup, or willl the front to back axle movement it gets in a wristed setup want to bend the coilover?
-super super long springs? should i do superlong custom springs? make them come up through the inner fenders so they can haev lots of travel? $$ is unknown, so what am i looking at for a set of longer custom made springs?

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
if it were me, i'd stick with the air bag idea. you already have the zuk. you have done coil set ups before. try something new. 300 beans for the bags isnt that bad, especialy when you consider some of the other possable set ups and their costs. if the airbags never work out the way you want, you could probably sell off all the hardware. then do the more expensive coil overs or whatever.
there is a guy down here in clay county 4x4 who has an old f150 on air bags. i havent seen it, but heard about it. its supposed to work pretty damn good. i think shane has a few pics of his truck on his superford page. its not a total loss if you dont like the bags. onboard will be needed for the bags, and could stay on the truck should you decide to dump the air set up. i'd say try it. you have the tools and the know how. and could probably fab all the brackets and get most the parts, hoses and valves cheap.
that and i really wanna see it done. something i would love to build myself one day.

heres joes truck:

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
take a look at The White Knight and the travel that thing with coilovers has .... shit, even better .. look at Raf's rig :thumbup ... just friggin amazing :beer

big coin though :shrug

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what do you mean i have the zuk, i have done coils?
last i loooked, the zuk had leaf springs....
the bronco had coils on the front.
the truck already has a york OBA setup

im just wondeirng about reliability and some of the other sissues i could have with the bags. if i buy the bags, i own them, i really dont think i could sell them, as they are an oddball, really tall/small diameter bag.
i know its not much $$, but just thinking of my options now.
it can sit for a long time, its not like i care..... i threw the rat killer on the seats last week, its good to go.

now that i have 2 D60's for sale i will have some $$ to spend on stuff, but i think that is gonna go towards a really nice mig though...

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
i know your zuk is leafs, and i know the bronco has coils only in the front. what i ment was, you havent done the air bags, you have set up a good leaf system, and got good travel outta a coil set up even if its only on the front of the bronco. all i was saying is try something differnet. a new challenge. and like i said, i wanna see air bags.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,962 Posts
I wouldnt bother with coilovers. You already made the wristed arm, and theyd flex alot better with a 3 or 4link than they woud with radius arms. That and if you really flexed-out the truck, id be afraid of damaging one.

So that leaves super-long coils, or airbags. Longer coils would be cool, but would you really get any better flex out of them? Id think the extra flex gains would come only from the fact that youd have a wristed arm. Plus, youd have to figure out exactly what spring-rate coil youd want, then youd have to find a place that will make them....i dont think theyd be any cheaper than just getting an airbag.
I really like the idea of being able to dynamically tweak your suspension....youd be able to get it to ride awesome, and then with the flip of a switch (or valve) change the whole 'spring' rate to a different amount so the truck's suspension will better suit the terrain, no matter what it is.

So id say.......go with airbags:cool:

·
Repo'd
1,570 Posts
Holy Shazzam! Captian Marvel.
BadAss has a Bronco question.

I say go with Bags, You have quite a few good susp.
on your John Deere Green Zuk(Shoulda kept the rims Yellow):shrug

Try something new and see how it works.

By the way,
J/K bout the Shazzam stuff,
Some of us do care, Like me:thumbup
You got the cash I wish I had for mods
So I live (VICARIOUSLY) through you.

=) didn't know how to spell it (=

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,982 Posts
I voted to go with the bags, Sounds like a cool setup to me...But I guess the real question would be how reliable are they?? Can they be repaired if you popped one on the trail, or would you be left limping home lop-sided.... I know i've pulled some pretty good sized sticks outta some strange places under my truck while out wheeling....How will the bags hold up long term??? Fog

·
Registered
41 Posts
ok i am a complete newbie, could somone give me a short synospis of the different type or point me in the right direction please

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Beings that I work on Air Rides all the time, I dont know if Id recomend them on a trail rig. The rubber isnt as thick as you might think (Tractor trailer bags MIGHT be a 1/4"..and I dont think they are quite that thick) and I find things stuck in them and through them all the time. Mainly broken shocks, the driver has hit something with them or they have been over extended from the broken shock.

How do you plan to set your ride highth and maintain it? How are you planning on plumbing them? Just seems to me that if you dont carry atleast 1 extra bag you are sooner or later going to be stuck with a busted bag.

Id say springs or coil overs...preferably coilovers. :scratchhe

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Wow, I didnt realize this thread was old...Not just old..but 2 years old.

·
Back in TEXAS
1,966 Posts
Since this thread is 2 years old, BAB what did you go with?

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
lol, He joined the Band.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts