Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a winch cable snaps, something laid over it decreases the chance of it cutting you in half or flying back through your windshield.

ARB sells this one:

It's just a few pounds of fabric with pockets for more weight.

I just ordered a new wrench roll for my SAE set because I loved it for my metric set so much. (Actually decided to get new SAE wrenches while I was at it).

My two wrench rolls weigh something like 10 or 20 pounds together and would be easy to wrap around a cable. Heavy duty fabric, lays loose on the cable. Perfect.

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,129 Posts
I like it !!

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,122 Posts
If a winch cable snaps, something laid over it decreases the chance of it cutting you in half or flying back through your windshield.

ARB sells this one:

View attachment 153115

It's just a few pounds of fabric with pockets for more weight.

I just ordered a new wrench roll for my SAE set because I loved it for my metric set so much. (Actually decided to get new SAE wrenches while I was at it).

My two wrench rolls weigh something like 10 or 20 pounds together and would be easy to wrap around a cable. Heavy duty fabric, lays loose on the cable. Perfect.

View attachment 153116
That's some innovation! However, I would be afraid of the wrenches flying out...

A crown royal bag or shot bag full of sand would do the trick too.

Same mentality applies to weighing your truck down for winter driving. Rocks, metal, etc. can become dangerous in a crash. Sandbags lose their momentum faster, and are safer.

·
Super Moderator
14,530 Posts
out of all the times I've had to winch, I've used a damper maybe to or 3 times and that was just a towel or jacket hung over the line..been fortunate in that I've never had one break on me, but this is a good reminder of something that is relatively cheap insurance to keep you safe.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
1,996 Posts
I always keep a few Harbor Freight freebie moving blankets in the back. They come in handy all the time, be it padding large items or laying over the raised tailgate for lumber, to keep it from beating up the glass' weatherstrip. They would also work well as a winch line damper.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
737 Posts
I keep my snatch blocks and extra D rings, cable links and a couple short chains in an old binocular bag and it doubles as my mid cable weight

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's some innovation! However, I would be afraid of the wrenches flying out...

A crown royal bag or shot bag full of sand would do the trick too.

Same mentality applies to weighing your truck down for winter driving. Rocks, metal, etc. can become dangerous in a crash. Sandbags lose their momentum faster, and are safer.
I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that the weight is supposed to help direct a broken cable down into the dirt.

Even the difference in height between flying into the grille versus through a front or back window could make all the difference.

Wrenches won't fly out with the rolls I have since the top folds over. But yeah, in theory, it could launch the whole roll.

The thinking is that a broken cable can behave like a whip. Think of a bull whip. Pretty fearsome. But imagine trying to whip it with a drilled out hockey puck down it's length. I think that's the idea.

With two rolls, I'd probably put them at 1/3 and 2/3 the total length of the cable. Attached loose to soak up snapping vibrations.

Sand bags would probably be better. But I've already got too much shit in the truck, and probably won't be shovelling bags full of Earth during a recovery.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I always keep a few Harbor Freight freebie moving blankets in the back. They come in handy all the time, be it padding large items or laying over the raised tailgate for lumber, to keep it from beating up the glass' weatherstrip. They would also work well as a winch line damper.
Same. At least one moving blanket in the truck at all times. So useful!

Last weekend, it kept all my gear in the truck dry while tailgating in a hailstorm. You can move furniture. Have a picnic. Dry a dog. Cover stuff up...

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,122 Posts
I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that the weight is supposed to help direct a broken cable down into the dirt.

Even the difference in height between flying into the grille versus through a front or back window could make all the difference.

Wrenches won't fly out with the rolls I have since the top folds over. But yeah, in theory, it could launch the whole roll.

The thinking is that a broken cable can behave like a whip. Think of a bull whip. Pretty fearsome. But imagine trying to whip it with a drilled out hockey puck down it's length. I think that's the idea.

With two rolls, I'd probably put them at 1/3 and 2/3 the total length of the cable. Attached loose to soak up snapping vibrations.

Sand bags would probably be better. But I've already got too much shit in the truck, and probably won't be shovelling bags full of Earth during a recovery.
The theory is correct, in that it shortens the length of the whipping portion, and therefore the force. That's also why you always mount tow hooks facing down. So if the hook bends or the strap comes off, it hits the ground.

I have been on the end of a 1.25" rope that broke. It shattered the parthfinder's headlight and grille. I wasnt able to check the hookup as I was frame deep in mud.

Lol, i thought more about it, and realized most wrench rolls have that flap.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,637 Posts

I carry a couple of these empty sandbags. A set of 4 sells for less than half of what one ARB damper costs. They're normally used to weigh down tripod speaker stands & such. They have handles & are divided so they're easy to hang over. I work for a small construction company, but we also do support for dance camps & classes (floor, audio, lighting) & use a bunch of sandbags for that stuff. The ones I bought for the Bronco are currently empty, but I suppose they could carry maps or tools or whoknowswhat. I figure anywhere they'd be needed there would be plenty of dirt available to fill them, & empty that's 40 less pounds on board.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Getting off topic here. Forgetting about the "load damper" part, if you're looking at wrench rolls, you might want to check out Harbor Freight's Canvas Rigger's bag instead. It's really heavy construction. The pockets are perfect for a set of compact wrenches. Longer wrenches would be too long, and stubbies would be too short. It happened to match my set of ratcheting wrenches perfectly. 7/16" to 3/4" in the side pockets, smaller ones together in a shorter pocket on the side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts