Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been looking for some good places for recovery points for the front of my 79, i was thinking maby d rings welded to a swivel under the bumper on the front, i need em to be strong cause i found out its a lot diffrent getting a fsb un stuck from thick carolina good than it is pulling out a xj, but 3 log chains 2 pull straps one cracked wind shield later we got it out only to find out that one of my trans cooler lines had came out and pumped alot of trans fluid out into the creek, it looked like the bp oil spill in my creek so i decided i needed proper pulling points

·
Registered
55 Posts
well there are a hand full of options you could replace the front bumper with one with some good shackle mounts or you could build them in to your frame which would take some good fab rication and welding skills then for the rear i just run a reciver with a shackel where the ball goes there is also one other option for the front that works great a mabey you have heard of these before its called a winch just kidding but shackel mounts are easy to build in to the frame if you can weld you just use some c channel to box the fron of your frame then use a cut a hole ine each side slide in some tube then weld it all up

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
ive pondered this as well. i have a 94 so it will be different but ill share my idea. i was going to cut some 1/4 inch-1/2 inch steel plates. the plates would have a big hole at one end which would be the recovery point and like 5 holes spaced out on the other end. the plate would bolt up to the frame horn and come through a slot in the bumper. it would be sweet, simple, and strong.

·
Registered
331 Posts
well there are a hand full of options you could replace the front bumper with one with some good shackle mounts or you could build them in to your frame which would take some good fab rication and welding skills then for the rear i just run a reciver with a shackel where the ball goes there is also one other option for the front that works great a mabey you have heard of these before its called a winch just kidding but shackel mounts are easy to build in to the frame if you can weld you just use some c channel to box the fron of your frame then use a cut a hole ine each side slide in some tube then weld it all up
I believe this is the longest sentence Ive ever read....:histerica

·
Registered
349 Posts
For the front I have a receiver, custom made, welded between frame rails that comes out just below the stock front bumper. Eventually it will be for a portable style winch cradle, but for now has a shackle insert. Same in the rear. You can kind of see it in the pic at left, before bumper was installed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
montana has a good point. The receiver ideas cool also, you could cut a hole in the bumper were there frame hooks to bumper and drill and mount some d rings there no welding involved jst another option

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Frogman had a good write up on tow points in the front for a 92-96. shouldnt be to much different for older modles except the older models dont have a crush zone on the front fram.
Heres a link
http://www.froggmann.com/Bronco/Tech/Tow.htm

I also had mounted some on the front of mine. can do a search for my screeen name and find it.

also can do a serach for front tow points or front recovery points.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i like the idea of a reciver hitch up front, i have seen winches done like that and they worked out pretty good, it also looks pretty cool to put a basket rack in for coolers and rods when your going fishin, i just dint know how good of an idea it was to weld to the frame, if i do the reciver up front i will probly cut a square out of the bumper and make it just come out a few inches or so, i thought that would look pretty sharp, and i could put one of those blue ovals in there when its not in use

1 - 15 of 15 Posts