Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
With the rising fuel prices and search for preformance, I began researching ways to lighten the hunk of iron that makes up a 460 big block. Weight not only hurts gas mileage and efficiency, but also limits preformance and handling. So how, you may wonder, can you reduce the weight of your 460?

I'm looking to compile ways to reduce weight that include price and the amount of weight reduced by the individual action. My plan is to keep a running list. I'm looking for real numbers, not guesses. If you disagree with an added stat, let me know. I will go off of popular opinion. As a stat is added in a reply, I will update the list in post #1 as frequently as I can.

Intake: -30/40lbs, $180-$lots
460 alum. blocks: -120lbs $5570-$6070
Alum heads: -75lbs, $800+ bare
Alum water pump: -5lbs,
Headers: -25 lbs

·
Registered
518 Posts
Running aluminum heads and intake will cut the weight down.The cast iron intake is a good 50 or 60 lbs a aluminum one is like 20lbs.The heads i can't find straight numbers on but should be half weight aluminum vs cast iron.Few other places aluminum water pump and headers can save a little weight.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Huh? Rising? Fuel Prices???

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Huh? Rising? Fuel Prices???
I felt that sounded good, ha! i guess i should have said "with the fluctuating fuel prices". Or "with the possibility of oil cartels raising prices once we ban fracking and other risky methods of accessing natural gas/oil". any way, these engines chug gas, especially with performance mods.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Even if you managed to reduce the engine weight by 200# (costing a ton of $, of course) the difference in your fuel consumption would literally be too small to measure. Consider...have you ever noticed a difference in mileage when you have a passenger versus not?

·
Registered
209 Posts
You could trade motors with me. This 5.0 is pretty light. Problem solved for both of us.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You could trade motors with me. This 5.0 is pretty light. Problem solved for both of us.
I have a well running 2.9 I would be willing to trade if your interested, ha!:thumbup

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Even if you managed to reduce the engine weight by 200# (costing a ton of $, of course) the difference in your fuel consumption would literally be too small to measure. Consider...have you ever noticed a difference in mileage when you have a passenger versus not?
Never made the comparison in mpg, but I do a lot of city driving, so I would imagine I may see a small change over time. I would think I would have less clutch wear (again, a small difference) with city driving as well. I guess preformance would be affected the most.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts