Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a paintball bottle refilling station to refill my tanks from my welding CO2 tank.

I inverted the tank to get liquid CO2, but all I get is vapor still.

My tank is almost empty, but still has full pressure.

Has anyone ever used a welding tank to get liquid CO2?

·
Registered
146 Posts
You don't need to invert the tank when filling a paintball tank. What you'll want to do is partially fill the paintball tank, then purge it. This will "freeze" the tank. This will make it cold enough for the C02 to condense in the tank. Make sure you zero your scale on the empty tank and only fill to 4 or so ounces lower than the tank rating or else the burst disk may go once the tank heats up.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My tank does not have a siphon tube. It is designed to draw vapor while upright. I assumed that inverting the tank would allow me to draw liquid. Maybe I assumed incorrectly?

·
Registered
146 Posts
My tank does not have a siphon tube. It is designed to draw vapor while upright. I assumed that inverting the tank would allow me to draw liquid. Maybe I assumed incorrectly?
It could, I mean in theory you're putting the liquid in the tank, I just don't know if that's a great idea... As long as you kept and eye on your scale and you didn't overfill you should be fine. I think what may happen is it could fill too much liquid and freeze the lines or the valves and just basically plug the fill station. Kind of like if you invert the paintball gun for too long and freeze your bolt open. You'd have to wait for it to thaw and try again.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses.

I actually thought that trasferring liquid to the tank would be safer than condensing vapor in the tank because there would be no phase change in the small tank, which shouldn't freeze anything. The phase change would happen in the big tank.

The small tank also shouldn't need to be chilled since there shouldn't be any need to condense the vapor.

Again, I may have made some poor assumptions here. I will try the method you mentioned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts