Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking over my Fiberglass top today. There seems to be some cracks in the filling between the seams. Anyone know what to use to fill that?

Was also thinking and wondering if the Spray Dye that ive seen people use on the interior parts would work to re0finish the top, or if they have something comparable.

·
OMF
2,957 Posts
I know that there is Bondo made specifically for fiberglass, if you have cracks I use that to help rebuild some of the strength.

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking I would grind out some of the cracked material till I got a good solid base, then fill in with Bondo. It will look like ass though If I don't paint it right away. I did find a very old post from 2005 about refinishing the top. Most say just paint it.
I was hoping for something that looked really close to the OEM finish though. I suppose I should go run by the body shop tomorrow and have a talk with them.

·
Registered
206 Posts
3M quit making that "splatter" paint years ago, this what the OEMs used. On My topper I used fiberglass resin,
I reduced it a bit so it would flow out nice, filling the few small cracks and the weathered surface. I haven't painted it yet,
but I was going to try to adjust the air and paint flow to get some type of splatter effect

HTH

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found this old posting from Miesk....sounds like good advice...

01-29-2010, 03:14 PM
As FRedwagon wrote.. they have the stuff..
and
Painting info; 1 DO NOT use chemical stripper (I was stripping the entire truck) it's made of SMC(sheet molded compound) and the texture is sprayed on 2 Dont use a DA. You'll sand the splatter pattern off it 3 Scuff it with red scuff pads (3M) 4 Seal with epoxy primer (I used PPG DP-40) 5)Paint, but mix with the desired amount (25-30%) of flattening agent (PPG DX685 - this stuff is weird/smells bad but works; unshaken/unstirred it looks like a sticky golf ball soaking in what I perceive elephant *** would look like). Too much flattening agent and the top will become chalky after a few yews and too little makes it look funny (too glossy). My truck is the newer '98 Expedition white (paint code YZ maybe). I used PPG, DAU product line on this one. If you do this is how I mixed: Color (DAU)16oz; Hardener(DU2)16 oz; Flattener(DX685)10oz (up to 12); Reducer 1.5- 2 oz. The PPG DX685 Chart on the cut sheet is helpful on other PPG lines; Form P-162 (9/96)..."
Source: by j. r. Nice (J. R. N) at FSB (http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7712&page=12&pp=20)

·
Super Moderator
6,648 Posts
My project trucks lid was pretty trashed and sun beatin. I used some Rustoleum roll on bed liner to bring it back to life. It worked out well for me and then I bought a few cans of spray paint and went to town. Turned out well in my opinion. Check it out on my build thread if you would like.

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yours came out pretty good. Im going to get my truck professionally re-painted, So I really want a high quality job. I think im just going to go talk to some body shops this week and compare opinions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts