Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
ask the place your getting it from... the people building it should be able to tell you... but i would think a 10w30 would be fine though... but im not an engine builder

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
10w30 Castrol GTX.

Install fresh oil, (and obviously a WIX oil filter), then change after three full break-in heat cycles. A heat cycle is starting and running to full normal operating temperature, not necessarily driving. Change the oil and filter after 500 miles, and then every 3000 miles there after. This should be in line with what the engine builder will recommend to you.

The old mantra of every 3 months or 3000 miles has been replaced with every 6 month or 5000-7500 miles under normal driving conditions. Severe driving conditions requiring more frequent change intervals include short distance driving, extended idling, more than 50% driving in heaving traffic, driving in extremely cold or humid environments, driving in dusty or sandy areas, driving in salt or other corrosive conditions and other heavy-duty purposes like trailer towing, off-roading, or high-speed driving. If this is the case, you are back to 3 months or 3000 miles.

The idea is to reduce both engine heat and friction, and remove oil contaminates which equate to a longer engine life. Sure many extend these intervals out further than recommended for convenience or to save money. But with a new or performance engine, why take the risk.

Also, after the rings seat at 8000 to 10,000 miles, you can go to full synthetic oil. But you must determine whether it is warranted after considering your attention to maintenance vs the synthetic oil cost factor.

In my case, I initially intended to go to full synthetic oil after seating the rings. But my attention to detail, frequency of oil changes and visual observations of very clean engine internals dictated that I stay with Castrol GTX every 3000 miles. In summary, my experience with factory new and rebuilt performance engines has shown that the first three oil changes are most critical to your new engine longevity.

Due to the Seattle FSB being a very expensive performance engine, I personally went with a Castrol GTX oil change after three heat cycles, 50 miles, 500 miles, 2000 miles and 3000 miles there after. I didn't have to, but I knew that I had only one chance to get it right.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree with SeattleFSB. That's exactly the procedure my engine builder recommends. Have followed it many times and never had an issue. Would also like to add Baldwin as another high quality filter choice.:thumbup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts