Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Where does everyone recommend purchasing remanufactured engines? I've priced out Jasper but 4K is too high. Looking for 351W for my 96'.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco, 351w, Edelbrock aluminum top end, Holley 600, 4" BDS lift, 35" Maxxis Razr's, stuff..
2,475 Posts
I bought a short block from Mabbco through ebay. I was pleased with it. I had some issues with the engine but not related to the short block. I have another short block on the way from CREB in RI. They are also available on Ebay. CREB has a very good reputation and there are several write ups on the site about them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good info so far. I've looked at RockAuto, Powertrain Products, and Amazon. Prices are more in line here. Any thoughts on these places?

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,881 Posts
Personal opinion, Local Ford Dealer or creb.
Or work with local engine plae and rebuild your own. From people I know and posts on forums like this. Everything else is somewhat of a gamble on if you will get a good one or not.

·
Registered
1995 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.8L
4 Posts
I'm having mine rebuilt by a local shop in Spring, Texas. The owner has a 93 and has worked on numerous FSB's. He warned me against remanufactured having sometimes poor quality. Also, he covers the motor with a 12 month warranty. The rebuild will include new pistons, rings, rod and main bearings, rebuilt heads, and machine work. Also will replace the water pump and most of the ignition components. The estimate is $5,500. I could probably go much cheaper if I did the work myself but I just don't have the tools and space and I wouldn't have peace of mind that it was done correctly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have most of the engine apart now. The only items left are the pistons, oil pan, crank, etc. After getting a couple of estimates, it looks like it's going to cost around the same to go local rebuild or reman. The Bronco is going to be for my son when he turns 16 and I only spent 5K on it 4 years ago. So it comes down to, do I want to deal with someone local or just have it all done at once and shipped to me. I'm enough of a shade tree mechanic to work on most of the Bronco, but when it comes to pistons, micrometers, measuring gaps, etc...I dont trust myself with that.

Big Red Dawg Build

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought a short block from Mabbco through ebay. I was pleased with it. I had some issues with the engine but not related to the short block. I have another short block on the way from CREB in RI. They are also available on Ebay. CREB has a very good reputation and there are several write ups on the site about them.
Looks like Mabbco does ship to Tennessee so possible option. Prices out similarly to what I've seen from other places as well.

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco, 351w, Edelbrock aluminum top end, Holley 600, 4" BDS lift, 35" Maxxis Razr's, stuff..
2,475 Posts
Check out Thunderhead289 on YouTube. He has some Mabbco reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
4,419 Posts
Reman your current engine. Or look for a 96-97 5.0 explorer/mountaineer in the junkyard for a 302 long block. I sometimes find them with as low as 85k miles! you can also get gt40 heads off the above application.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer Bronco 5.0L AOD Full length headers, no cats annoying Flowmasters
101 Posts
I bought mine from a guy that had put a remanufactured 302 long block in from O'reilly's for $1300. He had put some miles on it after replacing it, and I've put a few thousand miles on since buying it from him & I've got no complaints, no leaks, & it runs good. Call it what you want, and its not the way I would have done an engine, but it seems to be adequate.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
I'm pretty sure I burned down my Mabbco engine block with about 700 miles on it with a faulty fuel pump from Orielly. Pump diaphragm went and pumped gas into my oil. They basically told me to go pound sand. I've spent thousands in the local store - I'll never buy anything from them again.

·
Man of endless projects
9,168 Posts
alot of the cheap rebuilt engines are not reallty done very well. they have a relativley high failure rate. how much of that is from the installer is hard to say.

i installed a Ford reman 5.8 Lightning in a friends Bronco last year. its actually cheaper than than a standard flat tappet 351 and much cheaper than a roller 351 the 96 uses. the issue was that it was suppose to come with GT40 heads and we fought with Ford for weeks about it. ended up sticking with the regular E7 heads but the Lightning cam is worse than a stock flat tappet cam so we actually made less power than a normal engine instead of more. otherwise the engine looked fantastic and no other issues. it was a roller ready block so a cam swap could be done. heres my thread about it

·
Registered
949 Posts
Another happy CREB customer here... overall positive experience.

Lot of motor for the money and it's not an assembly line shop. Call and the owner is going to answer the phone... and actually have a real conversation with you to get you where you want to be.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts