Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Hmmm....
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a remote start on my truck and it is giving me hell. I know how to put them on b/c i put one on my brothers chevy, and it works great. Now i am putting one on mine and i have everything hooked up but when you put the wires to the module it makes 3 buzzing noises (particularly when you put the ignition wire to "Ignition 1"), and then when you try to start it w/ the remote it sounds like a 56K modem but never starts. I have more than triple checked that i have the wires hooked up correctly. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Maybe this can help ---

I have "Ignition 1" hooked to the red/green wire
"Ignition 2" to the black/green wire
"Starter" to red/blue wire
"12V constant" to the yellow wire (i know its working)
"Accessory" to gray/yellow wire (i know its working b/c the radio turns on when you press start)

does anyone have anything i should try, i am so frustrated right now, i thought i was done like 3-4 hours ago

Edit: this is a Bulldog Security RS82, its JUST the remote start

·
Registered
213 Posts
Almost sounds like one of the relays might be flaking out--I assume you have all the "safety" wires hooked up? (brake switch, neutral switch, etc)?. Got a GOOD ground for the system, so the relays can operate properly?

I have never used the Bulldog units personally, because of too many horror stories; I've always used DEI units--just put one in a Dodge Intrepid a few weeks ago in fact. As such, I may not know what the hell I'm talking about

·
Hmmm....
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes all the safety wires are hooked up but, it makes the noise whether or not they are hooked up or not, i may try another ground, could do the trick

edit, i know for sure the module/relay isnt flaking out b/c i took out my brothers module and put my wires on it and it did the same thing.

EDIT #2: went out and checked the ground, it does the buzzing thing no matter if the ground is hooked up or not

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
either a bad unit, or possible the ground jsut isnt making contact(maybe the ground inside the unit itself, return the system and try again with new

·
Hmmm....
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve83 said:
Put your module in your brother's known good truck & see if it works.
ok, heres what i did, i found out mine wasnt working, messed around w/ it, and nothing different happend, so i took the module out of my brothers truck, stuck it in mine and his module did all the same things mine did, so i stuck it back in his, and his worked just fine. Is it possible that there is a short in the ignition wires, or would that cause it to not work properly w/o the remote start? I know all the wires work correctly even w/ the remote start installed and hooked up, i can still drive my truck right now but i want the damn remote start to work.

Steve83 --- i know you have a lot of experience w/ electrical systems, is there any way i could chat or something w/ you on AIM? i want to get this figured out. and the soonest i can call their tech line is tuesday probably

·
Registered
213 Posts
Steve, I'm not so sure that putting his module into the bro's truck would work either--he did say that his bro's module (which works fine in THAT truck) did the same thing in his Bronco; that is, just make funny noises. BUT, it would still be a good idea to do so, just so that we can rule out a possible problem.

Since we have already shown that both modules (which we assume are both working right) suffer from the same symptoms, now is time to verify EVERY wire connection you've made--evidently something is not right.

What are you using to make the connections? If you're using those "vampire" taps, they could be a problem, especially on fairly large wires, or also on very small ones (the tap will miss the wire completely). Ideally, the wire would be partially stripped, and a solder joint be done.

I just looked thru the install manual for your unit, and it brings up another point--what about the hood pin switch? if that wire is grounded, the system will not start the truck--I know on my 91, when the remote start engages, it powers everything up for a few seconds before cranking, so I can hear the feul pump, and various other electronics fire up before it ever cranks--is yours doing something similar?

I'm not familiar with the brake switch on later broncos--did you verify that the wire you are using is only getting 12V when the pedal is depressed?

Not trying to be insulting, just trying to eliminate problems. It appears that you may have used the wiring diagram that Bulldog has on their website for your truck--I use the same lists, but have found errors on occasion, so I always verify the wires before hooking up anything--that's why I ask.

I've put in at least 6 remote start systems personally, and I know how aggravating it can be.

Use the little Yahoo icon under my avatar if you want, I'm stuck at home all day and might be able to help ya out

Jim

·
Hmmm....
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jimzbronc said:
Steve, I'm not so sure that putting his module into the bro's truck would work either--he did say that his bro's module (which works fine in THAT truck) did the same thing in his Bronco; that is, just make funny noises. BUT, it would still be a good idea to do so, just so that we can rule out a possible problem.

Since we have already shown that both modules (which we assume are both working right) suffer from the same symptoms, now is time to verify EVERY wire connection you've made--evidently something is not right.

What are you using to make the connections? If you're using those "vampire" taps, they could be a problem, especially on fairly large wires, or also on very small ones (the tap will miss the wire completely). Ideally, the wire would be partially stripped, and a solder joint be done.

I just looked thru the install manual for your unit, and it brings up another point--what about the hood pin switch? if that wire is grounded, the system will not start the truck--I know on my 91, when the remote start engages, it powers everything up for a few seconds before cranking, so I can hear the feul pump, and various other electronics fire up before it ever cranks--is yours doing something similar?

I'm not familiar with the brake switch on later broncos--did you verify that the wire you are using is only getting 12V when the pedal is depressed?

Not trying to be insulting, just trying to eliminate problems. It appears that you may have used the wiring diagram that Bulldog has on their website for your truck--I use the same lists, but have found errors on occasion, so I always verify the wires before hooking up anything--that's why I ask.

I've put in at least 6 remote start systems personally, and I know how aggravating it can be.

Use the little Yahoo icon under my avatar if you want, I'm stuck at home all day and might be able to help ya out

Jim
on the connections i tooke the cover off the trucks wires about 1/2" wide and just wrapped the remote start wires around the truck wires.

the hood pin switch isnt even hooked up, i dont feel like messing w/ that, its optional

and i know that the brake wire is working, when i press start and it makes that noise i can press the brake and the system will shut off

can anyone verify for me that on my 96 ( or i think from 94 -96 are the same according to BD) that the ignition wires are 1.red/green and 2. black/green

i think i am going to look at if the system is getting enough juice from the 12v constant, just make sure that connection is tight

·
Hmmm....
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
checked the 12v w/ a meter and all is good, still at a ????????? and i have to wait til tuesday to call them

·
Registered
107 Posts
Iv been thinking about the same system we sell it at work. Im not sure if its the same one though because the one we have is the whole 9 yards remote start unlock alarm and whatever else it has. I do belive its a bulldog too I dunno if we are talking about the same one. But if its going to be a pain in the ass I might just have to take it to a friends audio shop and let them do their thing. Sorry I know I havent helped a single bit...

·
Hmmm....
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its really not that difficult, at least mine isnt, just have to hook up like 6-7 wires, and be done. If i cant get it done i will just buy the t-harness and it has all the wires already done. but it took me like 2 hours on my bro's truck and it works great. i honestly have no clue what is wrong. soon enough it will be solved.

the alarm and what not might be more difficult but i dont know, mine is only the remote start

·
Registered
109 Posts
I hope this helps ya.
These should be the connections:

MODEL YEAR(S)
BRONCO 1994 -1996

PART COLOR LOCATION

12 VOLT CONSTANT YELLOW (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
STARTER RED/LIGHT BLUE (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
STARTER 2 N/A
IGNITION 1 RED/LIGHT GREEN (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
IGNITION 2 BLACK/GREEN (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
IGNITION 3 N/A
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 1 GRAY/YELLOW (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 2 N/A
KEYSENSE N/A
PARKING LIGHTS ( - ) N/A
PARKING LIGHTS ( + ) BROWN (+) @ HEADLIGHT SWITCH or in DRIVERS KICK PANEL
POWER LOCK PINK/YELLOW (TYPE C) See NOTE *1 IN PASSENGER KICK PANEL
POWER UNLOCK PINK/LIGHT GREEN (TYPE C) See NOTE *1 IN PASSENGER KICK PANEL
DOOR TRIGGER BLACK/BLUE (+) IN DRIVERS KICK PANEL
DOMELIGHT SUPERVISION USE DOOR TRIGGER
TRUNK RELEASE N/A
SLIDING POWER DOOR N/A
HORN DARK BLUE (-) @ STEERING COLUMN HARNESS
TACH TAN/YELLOW @ IGNITION COIL
WAIT TO START LIGHT BLACK/PINK (-) See NOTE *2
BRAKE LIGHT GREEN (+) @ SWITCH ABOVE BRAKE PEDAL
FACTORY ALARM DISARM N/A
ANTI-THEFT N/A

EXTRA INFORMATION

NOTE *1 If vehicle is equipped with a FACTORY KEYLESS ENTRY the DOOR LOCKS are a TYPE B System, without FACTORY KEYLESS it is a TYPE C, For TYPE C locks on this vehicle you MUST test using the DRIVERS DOOR SWITCH (MASTER SWITCH) when testing for TYPE C Locks. NOTE *2 The DIESEL TACH wire is WHITE/PINK at the INSTURMENT CLUSTER or PCM (Poswertrain Control Module).

You can always get this too.http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/MTweb/products.asp?id=1020

·
Hmmm....
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah i got all that info, thats why i am at a ?? on what went wrong. even with just the 12v and the ignition 1 hooked up it makes the three buzzes, and it happens when i touch the ignition to the module

1 - 12 of 12 Posts