Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, i had a remote start installed on my bronco today, and to be honest im not very pleased by it. my truck is a manual so there was a clutch override stuck in there but my problem lies in two things.

1 when i turn the truck off the truck doesnt actually turn off, i have to get out and close the doors and then five seconds later it will turn off.

2 the trucks doors cannot be opened after the vehicle is shut off otherwise the remote start will not operate after said doors are once again shut.

the fact that the truck doesnt turn off after i turn the key off is my main concern, because this can be down right dangerous. my question to everyone is.

can i get a remote start that does not do the above things?

i want one that starts when i tell it to start and that's about it. i want to get some opinions before i call the shop back and ask to return it

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
That does not sound right. Mine starts my truck when activated. It will turn off if you press the brake and do not have the key in the ignition. Once I turn the key on the remote starts turns off and the truck runs like normal. When I turn the key off the truck turns off. Mine is a viper alarm with the remote start. Yours does not sound like it is installed correctly. If that is how it is supposed to work than I would get rid of it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That does not sound right. Mine starts my truck when activated. It will turn off if you press the brake and do not have the key in the ignition. Once I turn the key on the remote starts turns off and the truck runs like normal. When I turn the key off the truck turns off. Mine is a viper alarm with the remote start. Yours does not sound like it is installed correctly. If that is how it is supposed to work than I would get rid of it.
is your truck a manual?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would talk to the installer. Many remote start units are completely programmable. It should not be a problem for them to check it out. Its not right the way it is....

·
Super Moderator
26,089 Posts
yo,
I agree on speaking to Installer; and suggest that a Remote Start Warning Decal be placed on at least the top of Radiator support And a Shut Off Toggle disablement Switch be placed inside Cab around bottom or in dash panel within driver's reach;
Decal pic from our 96 below;

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay, i went back to the installer today and this is what i now understand, the reason the truck stays running till i have left the vehicle and closed the doors and why the remote start will not operate if said doors are then reopened and closed is because its to avoid liability from the remote start companies. it makes it so the vehicle has to be placed in nuetral and then left in order for it to be assured that the truck is in neutral when you got to start the truck, which i find ridiculous but understandable. so im having the system removed and what i will do instead is bypass the clutch interlock switch completely and install my own remote start.

so i guess my question is now, how do i properly bypass the clutch interlock switch? i have heard a few ways

1. theres a part you can salvage from an automatic and connect it into a do-hickie in the truck which bypasses it. (prefered)

2. do some wiring mumbo jumbo a presto chango its bypassed (least preferred)

3. place a piece of metal somewhere to make the system think the clutch is activated. (might mess with cruise control so rather not do it this way)

any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
217 Posts
okay, i went back to the installer today and this is what i now understand, the reason the truck stays running till i have left the vehicle and closed the doors and why the remote start will not operate if said doors are then reopened and closed is because its to avoid liability from the remote start companies. it makes it so the vehicle has to be placed in nuetral and then left in order for it to be assured that the truck is in neutral when you got to start the truck, which i find ridiculous but understandable. so im having the system removed and what i will do instead is bypass the clutch interlock switch completely and install my own remote start.

so i guess my question is now, how do i properly bypass the clutch interlock switch? i have heard a few ways

1. theres a part you can salvage from an automatic and connect it into a do-hickie in the truck which bypasses it. (prefered)

2. do some wiring mumbo jumbo a presto chango its bypassed (least preferred)

3. place a piece of metal somewhere to make the system think the clutch is activated. (might mess with cruise control so rather not do it this way)

any help would be greatly appreciated
Whered you have it installed if i may ask? and what brand of remote start? alarm too?

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
5,243 Posts
By-passing the neutral safety switch is simple, but not a good idea. All someone has to do is accidently start the truck with the key fob (read: drinking with your buddies while your keys on the bar) with it left in gear and things could get real ugly, real fast.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
117 Posts
By-passing the neutral safety switch is simple, but not a good idea. All someone has to do is accidently start the truck with the key fob (read: drinking with your buddies while your keys on the bar) with it left in gear and things could get real ugly, real fast.

Just my $0.02
Not to mention just accidentally activating the button while the fob is in your pocket, or even while digging it out of you pocket. Imagine if you are under it or under the hood when it accidentally actuated? I personally think it is not smart at all to have a remote start on a manual vehicle with out the override. Hell the first thing I did when I started the c6 to zf swap on my 89 was take out the remote start...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats assuming I leave it in gear, never have I once left this truck in gear when I park it, I have only driven manuals in my life and never have I once left one of them in gear (even on steep hills) so to counter your argument, being as I am, and so help me god, the only one to ever drive my truck I can rest assure that the truck will never be started in gear.

The place I went to was called alpine stereo, very ethical and fair folks I gotta say, they are taking back my remote start and replacing my bumper since the tech ran it into the wall whilst driving it in the bay. The starter Is a firstech the model is 7200 something or other

·
Registered
674 Posts
I do enjoy, more than I thought I would the remote start option on my Jeep. It is automatic, so I can't get my head around your comments about always leaving your manual Bronco in neutral when you leave the vehicle. Yeah, I get parking brake..don't ever sell this Bronco because it is unsafe to the next owner once you bypass the no start in gear safeguards. Best of luck.

·
I did done broke it
2,282 Posts
That's like asking how to properly remove the emissions systems - doing it is improper, so there's no proper way to do it.
Thats a lie

Anyways, don't get rid of the neutral safety switch. Someone here did that and someone at a quick lube or car wash or something of that nature started his Bronco and it went tearing across the street and nailed a light pole if I remember

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
It shouldn't be hard to bypass the switch. It's your truck. Make it the way you want it. (I also never park in gear)

Some manual trannys have a light on the dash when in neutral. If you have that, you could feesably make it so it wouldn't start without being in neutral.

To those worried about it starting while working under the hood. Most have a hood switch to prevent that. Don't ever turn your car over to a jiffy lube and you won't have that problem either. (Do it yourself)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts