Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -

I have a 1996 Ford Bronco 5.0, manual tranny.

Any recommendations on what remote start system to purchase? Are there any plug n play options? I am also considering installing a Joying 10.1" head unit, and backup camera. (I don't know if there are any integrated systems...)

Thank you for any help/suggestions you can provide!

·
Super Moderator
29,090 Posts
Yo MidniteToker
Welcome!
My better-half gave me a gift in 97, a Directed remote start and Spal pw/pdl . Remote installed by an authorized shop.
Still operates flawlessly. Only had one pdl actuator failure, but cost under $10.00 & it was ez to install. The Spal actuators are neat in that they give off a loud CLUNK when locking or opening. I use it to scare off squirrels that like to chew on wiring. Soldered and protected with heat shrink, etc.

Spal w/pdl switches mounted where electr. 4x4 sw. would be.
Inquire at local shops for state of the art remotes, then decide if it is DIY.

ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed. If you still have concerns about Recalls, please contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center:
US: 800-392-3673 | CA: 800-565-3673
Note: 3673 spells "FORD" on phone keys
For the hearing- or speech-impaired: Please contact the Telecommunication Relay Service by dialing 71
... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (50 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members.).

See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links), includes "how do I get the tailgate glass to...", etc.

Here's the 1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual partial

96 Bronco Owner's Guide, Maintenance Schedules & Parts and Accessories by Ford @ Owner Manuals | fleet.ford.com

96 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ 1996 Ford Bronco Technical Info pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net ... scroll down

96 Bronco Quick Tips Brochure Excerpts & some Eddie Bauer options @ 1983 Ford Bronco 96 EB Bronco Brochures pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

See How to add your Signature @ Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum by BigBlue 94

See our Sites' FAQs, includes for example:
How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts
How To Search The Site
What is the Difference Between the Showcase and Gallery?
ETC.

Try to find time to participate and vote in our
Full-Size of the Month Contest & later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Prizes are awarded to the winner; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription, once the article is submitted; and a years worth of premium FSB membership.
Al

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 bone stock
980 Posts
Im sure others will chime in, but the internet is flooded with options, but i don't know of any that will be plug and play, but from personal experience none of them are really difficult to install...especially with the existence of youtube.

I plan on installing a keyless entry/ remote start on mine as well and haven't decided what im going to use, but i think i installed some universal kit in my 2000 tacoma and it cost me like 50 bucks and it worked great as long as i had the truck.

As far as the backup camera, i am going to do that as well, but i am going to get one of those rear view mirrors with the hidden reverse screen in the corner. I just don't want a big ol bright screen on the dash of my classic bronco...not my cup of tea...but if thats what you want to do, more power to you, just make sure you read to see if that screen gets dim at night. I installed a cheap double din DVD player in a truck of mine about 10 years ago, and it was great...until nightime, on its dimmest setting it was still really bright and I ended up removing it because of that.

PS. I really like ordering things like this from Crutchfield...they have outstanding customer service and if they sell a product, they can likely get parts for that product if ever need be...like if you need a replacement fob or something like that.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Manual transmission is a show stopper for a remote start system.
Mine had a Viper system installed in it that was older than the Bronco but without remote start. I replaced it with a new Viper with remote start. I do like it!

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
I have a Viper remote start in my 92 Bronco. It only cost around $50 because I just wanted a basic remote start with no fancy features. I didn't need to operate it with my phone and I had the installer not hook up the door lock feature because I always leave my key in the ignition.
The only feature I have is the parking lights come on so I can tell if it started.

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 bone stock
980 Posts
Mine had a Viper system installed in it that was older than the Bronco but without remote start. I replaced it with a new Viper with remote start. I do like it!
You can have remote start with manual if you wire it to the neutral switch and e brake switch...now is it recommended?? That’s for the owner to decide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
955 Posts
I am surprised to hear you like your Viper system, Do you have the factory alarm installed still?
I had mine installed 2 years ago by a professional and reliable shop and since day one, at times, the factory alarm would go off if I unlocked the doors with the Viper Fob. I took it back to the shop immediately and they said I was at fault because I was using the Viper and the Ford fob alternately. They advised to take the Ford Fob off my keychain and I would have no issues. That wasn't the case and the the factory alarm still goes of occasionally if I try to unlock the doors with the Viper Fob. It's been too long for me to go back now but from a Remote Start perspective the Viper is great, it's 2 way Fob so I know that the truck is running and also it will remote start from like a mile away.
Circuit component Cable Gadget Flash memory Data storage device
start from

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,953 Posts
Yeah, a manual tranny is a concern. I remember a member here, a few years ago, who put one on his manual car. He told us it was not a concern, since he ALWAYS left it in neutral. Until the day he didn't, & the car ended up in his pool. Oops.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup, after much more research, I decided it's not worth the effort/chance. Thank you for everyone's help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts